Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2026 12:04 PM
  • Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Police say frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired around 2:52 a.m. on April 13 in the area of 94A Avenue and 127 Street. Investigators confirmed that an occupied home was struck by gunfire, though no injuries were reported.

The Surrey Police Service’s Extortion Response Team (ExRT) later took over the investigation, identifying a suspect vehicle and obtaining a search warrant connected to the case.

With assistance from the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and other SPS units, officers executed the warrant at a Surrey residence, where one man was arrested.

Jaskaran Saroye, 27, has since been charged with discharging a firearm into a place while knowing or being reckless as to whether someone was present. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing, with his next court appearance scheduled for May 12, 2026.

“This arrest and charge reflect the determined work of our officers to hold those responsible for gun violence accountable,” said Surrey Police Chief Constable Norm Lipinski in a statement. “Discharging a firearm into an occupied home is an extremely serious offence.”

SPS has also publicly released a photo of Saroye, saying investigators believe the disclosure may assist ongoing investigations into violent extortion-related activity. Police are urging anyone with information about Saroye or related incidents to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police Service at 604-599-0502, the Surrey Extortion Tip Line at 236-485-5149, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Police also noted that the Surrey Extortion Reward Fund, established in September 2025, offers rewards of up to $250,000 for information leading to charges and convictions in extortion-related crimes.

MORE National ARTICLES

Carney sending MP to China to push back against canola tariffs

Carney sending MP to China to push back against canola tariffs
The Prime Minister's Office says Kody Blois, Liberal MP for Kings—Hants, will take part in the three-day trade mission that starts on Saturday to "engage constructively with Chinese officials on several trade irritants."

Carney sending MP to China to push back against canola tariffs

Wildfire near B.C.'s Coquihalla Highway triggers evacuation order and alerts

Wildfire near B.C.'s Coquihalla Highway triggers evacuation order and alerts
The Coquihalla Highway was closed Wednesday in the stretch near the blaze and remains shuttered between Hope and Merritt, with motorists advised to take Highways 1 and 3 as alternatives.

Wildfire near B.C.'s Coquihalla Highway triggers evacuation order and alerts

Surrey Launches Simplified Online Portal for Cultural, Community, and Policing Grants

Surrey Launches Simplified Online Portal for Cultural, Community, and Policing Grants
User-friendly webforms will now replace PDFs, making the process smoother and more accessible.  

Surrey Launches Simplified Online Portal for Cultural, Community, and Policing Grants

Margaret Atwood takes aim at Alberta's school library books ban with satirical story

Margaret Atwood takes aim at Alberta's school library books ban with satirical story
In a social media post on Sunday, Atwood said since the literary classic is no longer suitable in Alberta's schools, she has written a short story for 17-year-olds about two "very, very good children" named John and Mary.

Margaret Atwood takes aim at Alberta's school library books ban with satirical story

Phone services, including the 911 landline, down in northern Vancouver Island

Phone services, including the 911 landline, down in northern Vancouver Island
Other communities on Vancouver Island, including Alert Bay, Campbell River and Port Alice, have also been affected.

Phone services, including the 911 landline, down in northern Vancouver Island

Five things to know about public service job action in British Columbia

Five things to know about public service job action in British Columbia
The union says talks over a new contract broke down in July, after the expiry of the previous contract on March 31. It says it's seeking improved wages as staff battle an affordability crisis.

Five things to know about public service job action in British Columbia