Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Montreal dockworkers begin strike at port

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Apr, 2021 05:16 PM
  • Montreal dockworkers begin strike at port

More than 1,000 dockworkers at the Port of Montreal began a strike Monday morning — a move that the port authority says will mean a total shutdown of all port operations.

The Montreal Port Authority says the strike began effective at 7 a.m. ET.

The workers, who have been without a contract since December 2018, have been on an overtime strike since April 17 and have refused to work weekends since April 18.

The strike follows comments Sunday by federal Labour Minister Filomena Tassi who said Ottawa has filed notice that it will table back-to-work legislation in the coming days if an agreement is not reached.

Tassi said the government would prefer not to intervene but may have no choice given what she called the significant and potentially long-lasting harm to the economy caused by a work stoppage.

The Port of Montreal saw a dip in activity as early as last month, as customers sought other ports to export and import from ahead of the strike.

Several employers groups have raised concerns about the impact of the strike on business.

"The Port of Montreal is critical to the economic well-being of Canadians across the country, particularly those in Quebec and Eastern Canada," said Tassi in a statement on Twitter.

"The government must act when all other efforts have been exhausted and a work stoppage is causing significant economic harm to Canadians."

Another work stoppage took place last year in August, when the union representing the dock workers enacted a 10-day strike.

MORE National ARTICLES

6 new COVID19 deaths for Friday

6 new COVID19 deaths for Friday
There are 253 individuals currently hospitalized with COVID-19, 70 of whom are in intensive care.

6 new COVID19 deaths for Friday

Accused in Amanda Todd case extradited to Canada

Accused in Amanda Todd case extradited to Canada
The B.C. Prosecution Service says Aydin Coban is in custody and made his first appearance in a courtroom in the province on Dec. 8.

Accused in Amanda Todd case extradited to Canada

Surrey RCMP identify man involved in groping incident at park

Surrey RCMP identify man involved in groping incident at park
His release has taken place on a number of conditions, including not being seen at Surrey schools or parks. No charges have been laid and RCMP said the investigation was ongoing.

Surrey RCMP identify man involved in groping incident at park

B.C.'s top doctor extends COVID-19 restrictions

B.C.'s top doctor extends COVID-19 restrictions
Gatherings during the Super Bowl, Family Day, the Lunar New Year and Valentine's Day could threaten progress made while promised vaccines have not yet been delivered, she said.

B.C.'s top doctor extends COVID-19 restrictions

B.C. unemployment up but Kahlon points to new jobs

B.C. unemployment up but Kahlon points to new jobs
Ravi Kahlon, the minister of jobs, economic recovery and innovation, says B.C. created 2,800 jobs in January and analysts peg the higher unemployment rate to more people looking for work.

B.C. unemployment up but Kahlon points to new jobs

NDP makes pre-emptive strike with election pledge

NDP makes pre-emptive strike with election pledge
Speaking at a virtual news conference Friday, Singh said the federal government should work with provincial and territorial authorities to establish national standards for long-term care homes.

NDP makes pre-emptive strike with election pledge