Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Montreal dockworkers begin strike at port

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Apr, 2021 05:16 PM
  • Montreal dockworkers begin strike at port

More than 1,000 dockworkers at the Port of Montreal began a strike Monday morning — a move that the port authority says will mean a total shutdown of all port operations.

The Montreal Port Authority says the strike began effective at 7 a.m. ET.

The workers, who have been without a contract since December 2018, have been on an overtime strike since April 17 and have refused to work weekends since April 18.

The strike follows comments Sunday by federal Labour Minister Filomena Tassi who said Ottawa has filed notice that it will table back-to-work legislation in the coming days if an agreement is not reached.

Tassi said the government would prefer not to intervene but may have no choice given what she called the significant and potentially long-lasting harm to the economy caused by a work stoppage.

The Port of Montreal saw a dip in activity as early as last month, as customers sought other ports to export and import from ahead of the strike.

Several employers groups have raised concerns about the impact of the strike on business.

"The Port of Montreal is critical to the economic well-being of Canadians across the country, particularly those in Quebec and Eastern Canada," said Tassi in a statement on Twitter.

"The government must act when all other efforts have been exhausted and a work stoppage is causing significant economic harm to Canadians."

Another work stoppage took place last year in August, when the union representing the dock workers enacted a 10-day strike.

MORE National ARTICLES

Everyone deserves a safe work environment: Trudeau

Everyone deserves a safe work environment: Trudeau
Vance has not responded to previous requests for comment by The Canadian Press and the allegations against him could not be independently verified.

Everyone deserves a safe work environment: Trudeau

Economy lost 213,000 jobs in January, StatCan says

Economy lost 213,000 jobs in January, StatCan says
The unemployment rate rose 0.6 percentage points to 9.4 per cent, the highest rate since August.

Economy lost 213,000 jobs in January, StatCan says

Manitoba man pleads guilty in Rideau Hall incident

Manitoba man pleads guilty in Rideau Hall incident
Corey Hurren, a Manitoba military reservist and sausage-maker, faced 21 weapons charges and one of threatening the prime minister.

Manitoba man pleads guilty in Rideau Hall incident

AstraZeneca doses expected by end of June: Trudeau

AstraZeneca doses expected by end of June: Trudeau
Canada had previously said three million people could be vaccinated by the end of March and another 10 million by the end of June.

AstraZeneca doses expected by end of June: Trudeau

Aid groups blast Canada for taking COVAX vaccines

Aid groups blast Canada for taking COVAX vaccines
Oxfam Canada and the ONE Campaign say it is wrong for the federal government to agree to accept almost 1.9 million doses of vaccine from the COVAX Facility by the end of June.

Aid groups blast Canada for taking COVAX vaccines

B.C. top doctor has hinted restrictions won't lift

B.C. top doctor has hinted restrictions won't lift
Henry said they have concerns about the new and faster-spreading variants of COVID-19 in other jurisdictions and they don't want them to spread in B.C.

B.C. top doctor has hinted restrictions won't lift