Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Montreal dockworkers begin strike at port

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Apr, 2021 05:16 PM
  • Montreal dockworkers begin strike at port

More than 1,000 dockworkers at the Port of Montreal began a strike Monday morning — a move that the port authority says will mean a total shutdown of all port operations.

The Montreal Port Authority says the strike began effective at 7 a.m. ET.

The workers, who have been without a contract since December 2018, have been on an overtime strike since April 17 and have refused to work weekends since April 18.

The strike follows comments Sunday by federal Labour Minister Filomena Tassi who said Ottawa has filed notice that it will table back-to-work legislation in the coming days if an agreement is not reached.

Tassi said the government would prefer not to intervene but may have no choice given what she called the significant and potentially long-lasting harm to the economy caused by a work stoppage.

The Port of Montreal saw a dip in activity as early as last month, as customers sought other ports to export and import from ahead of the strike.

Several employers groups have raised concerns about the impact of the strike on business.

"The Port of Montreal is critical to the economic well-being of Canadians across the country, particularly those in Quebec and Eastern Canada," said Tassi in a statement on Twitter.

"The government must act when all other efforts have been exhausted and a work stoppage is causing significant economic harm to Canadians."

Another work stoppage took place last year in August, when the union representing the dock workers enacted a 10-day strike.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man killed in targeted shooting in Burnaby, B.C.

Man killed in targeted shooting in Burnaby, B.C.
Sgt. Frank Jang says Kenworthy is known to police and the shooting was targeted, but it's not yet known if it was gang related.

Man killed in targeted shooting in Burnaby, B.C.

Military investigates after Vance allegations

Military investigates after Vance allegations
Vance could not be reached for comment on Thursday and the allegations against him could not be independently verified.

Military investigates after Vance allegations

6 new COVID19 deaths on Thursday

6 new COVID19 deaths on Thursday
The province confirmed 465 new cases Thursday for a total of 69,245 since the pandemic began.

6 new COVID19 deaths on Thursday

Indigenous patients feel unsafe in B.C.: report

Indigenous patients feel unsafe in B.C.: report
Turpel-Lafond, a former judge and ex-children's advocate, was appointed by Health Minister Adrian Dix last year to examine anti-Indigenous racism in health care. Her first report came out in November and made 24 recommendations.

Indigenous patients feel unsafe in B.C.: report

Toronto man Amritpal Dhillon arrested in fraud investigation

Toronto man Amritpal Dhillon arrested in fraud investigation
On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, Amritpal Dhillon, 53, of Mississauga, was arrested and charged with: 1. five counts of Fraud Over $5,000 and 2. five counts of Possession of Proceeds Over $5,000.

Toronto man Amritpal Dhillon arrested in fraud investigation

Government 'ill-suited' to run gaming: testimony

Government 'ill-suited' to run gaming: testimony
He says the potential for suspicious activities at gaming outlets has historically been present in B.C. and the government would be better suited as a regulator, while allowing other entities to run high-limit gaming.

Government 'ill-suited' to run gaming: testimony