Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Video shows Malik's killers waiting: police

Video shows Malik's killers waiting: police
Sgt. David Lee of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team told a news conference that a white Honda CRV pulled up near the scene of the shooting at around 7 a.m. and Malik was shot and killed at about 9:30 that morning. "The occupants were waiting for Mr. Malik," he said.

Video shows Malik's killers waiting: police

B.C. Appeal Court rejects private-care challenge

B.C. Appeal Court rejects private-care challenge
The panel of three Appeal Court justices did find the lower-court judge erred in his analysis of the right to life, saying the provincial act's provisions do deprive some patients, not only of the right to security of the person, but of the right to life.

B.C. Appeal Court rejects private-care challenge

B.C. opens registry for kids' COVID-19 vaccination

B.C. opens registry for kids' COVID-19 vaccination
Acting provincial health officer Dr. Martin Lavoie says they know the vaccines are safe and have helped the province weather the pandemic. While most children who are infected with COVID-19 have mild symptoms, he says others can get very sick.

B.C. opens registry for kids' COVID-19 vaccination

BC Wildfire Service crews respond near Lytton

BC Wildfire Service crews respond near Lytton
EComm, the 911 emergency communication operator for most of the province, said in a statement that landline and cell service is unavailable in Lytton and for the areas nearby of Boston Bar and Spences Bridge, but Brach said the outage is believed to be unrelated to the fire.

BC Wildfire Service crews respond near Lytton

Rooftop parking lot collapses in Vancouver

Rooftop parking lot collapses in Vancouver
The incident had closed Lougheed Highway between Rupert Street and Boundary Road, a major route for traffic. Emergency Health Services says the two patients were transported to hospital. It did not provide details on their condition.    

Rooftop parking lot collapses in Vancouver

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable
In the U.N. health agency’s weekly review of the COVID-19 pandemic, WHO said there were 5.7 million new infections confirmed last week, marking a 6% increase. There were 9.800 deaths, roughly similar to the previous week’s figure.

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable