Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

VPD investigation leads to charges in 2021 downtown collision that claimed the life of a 23 month old child

VPD investigation leads to charges in 2021 downtown collision that claimed the life of a 23 month old child
A black Ford Escape collided with a black McLaren in the intersection of Smithe and Hornby streets on July 6, 2021. Following the collision, the Ford Escape mounted the sidewalk, striking a man who was carrying his 23-month-old daughter. The child died and the father was taken to hospital with life-altering injuries.

VPD investigation leads to charges in 2021 downtown collision that claimed the life of a 23 month old child

Willowbrook Mall evacuated after 2 youths bear-sprayed inside the mall

Willowbrook Mall evacuated after 2 youths bear-sprayed inside the mall
The victims were treated by BC Ambulance Service and are recovering from the effects of the bear spray. Willowbrook Mall was temporarily evacuated as numerous patrons were feeling the effects of the bear spray.  The Mall has resumed normal business.  

Willowbrook Mall evacuated after 2 youths bear-sprayed inside the mall

Honda Celebration returns to English Bay for its milestone 30th year with 3 nights of magical fireworks and a brand new Festival Zone

Honda Celebration returns to English Bay for its milestone 30th year with 3 nights of magical fireworks and a brand new Festival Zone
 The event also welcomes back the Red Bull Air Show, a spectacular pre-show performance happening on all three festival nights, and on Wednesday, July 27th we are delighted to have the iconic Canadian Snowbird team back to perform their formation flyovers at English Bay, presented by Concord Pacific.

Honda Celebration returns to English Bay for its milestone 30th year with 3 nights of magical fireworks and a brand new Festival Zone

UBC president Santa Ono takes post in Michigan

UBC president Santa Ono takes post in Michigan
In remarks accepting his new job, the 59-year-old biologist, researcher and administrator told an audience at the University of Michigan that it was an honour and privilege to serve UBC, the campus he grew up on while his father was a mathematics professor.

UBC president Santa Ono takes post in Michigan

Surrey RCMP need the public's help finding missing senior Gurmit Grewal

Surrey RCMP need the public's help finding missing senior Gurmit Grewal
Gurmit is described as a 86-year-old South Asian man, 5’6” tall, medium build with a long white beard. It is unknown what he was wearing however he usually wears a turban and traditional Indian clothing with a button up shirt. 

Surrey RCMP need the public's help finding missing senior Gurmit Grewal

Where provinces, territories stand on fourth doses

Where provinces, territories stand on fourth doses
Canada's provinces are taking differing approaches to rolling out fourth doses of COVID-19 vaccines. Some are offering the second boosters to all adults in response to the highly contagious BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants of Omicron, while others are keeping access limited for now with an eye to the fall.

Where provinces, territories stand on fourth doses