Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Investigations, service for Kelowna crane collapse

Investigations, service for Kelowna crane collapse
The statement says the detachment is "actively investigating" the July 12, 2021, collapse that killed five people, including four workers and a man who was in a nearby building.

Investigations, service for Kelowna crane collapse

50 year old male cyclist in hospital after a motor vehicle collision: Surrey RCMP

50 year old male cyclist in hospital after a motor vehicle collision: Surrey RCMP
A cyclist who was travelling west bound collided with a vehicle heading south bound on King George Blvd. The 50-year-old male cyclist was transported to local area hospital in serious condition with non-life-threatening injuries.

50 year old male cyclist in hospital after a motor vehicle collision: Surrey RCMP

Telecoms told to assist each other during outages

Telecoms told to assist each other during outages
Champagne made the announcement on Monday after a meeting with executives of the major telecom companies. The aim of the meeting was to “demand they take immediate action to improve the resiliency and reliability of our networks,” he said.

Telecoms told to assist each other during outages

Officer out of ICU after B.C. bank shootout

Officer out of ICU after B.C. bank shootout
Three Saanich officers and three from the Victoria Police Department, all members of the emergency response team, were injured in the gunfight with 22-year-old twin brothers, Mathew and Isaac Auchterlonie from Duncan, B.C., outside a Bank of Montreal.

Officer out of ICU after B.C. bank shootout

Public health care needs to be reimagined: Horgan

Public health care needs to be reimagined: Horgan
The country's 13 premiers began two days of meetings in Victoria on Monday with the primary topic of health-care funding as Canada eases out of a pandemic with a severe shortage of doctors, nurses and other health workers.

Public health care needs to be reimagined: Horgan

Man dies after Yaletown morning stabbing, Vancouver marks its eighth homicide

Man dies after Yaletown morning stabbing, Vancouver marks its eighth homicide
A bystander called 9-1-1 around 8:30 a.m. to report a man had been stabbed near Smithe and Homer Street. When VPD officers arrived moments later, they discovered a 29-year-old victim suffering grave injuries. The man was taken to hospital, but he died a short time later.

Man dies after Yaletown morning stabbing, Vancouver marks its eighth homicide