Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

3 inebriated men leave on motorcycles and land in hospital with serious injuries after collision

3 inebriated men leave on motorcycles and land in hospital with serious injuries after collision
One officer responded and located two motorcycles believed to be related to the complaint travelling north on 188 Street, performed a U-Turn and attempted to conduct a traffic stop. The motorcycles did not stop and the officer discontinued attempts to conduct the traffic stop.

3 inebriated men leave on motorcycles and land in hospital with serious injuries after collision

Industry minister to meet with Rogers CEO

Industry minister to meet with Rogers CEO
The office of François-Philippe Champagne says he plans to meet with Tony Staffieri and other telecom leaders to discuss the importance of improving Canada's networks.

Industry minister to meet with Rogers CEO

Wildfire smoke, heat warnings in North

Wildfire smoke, heat warnings in North
Environment Canada has issued a special weather statement for parts of central and northern Yukon and Northwest Territories that says wildfire smoke will continue to impact communities this week.

Wildfire smoke, heat warnings in North

Child allegedly taken from TTC station found safe

Child allegedly taken from TTC station found safe
Subway service was stopped while officers searched for the man and child, but police now say service is resuming. Police say the child is two years old.

Child allegedly taken from TTC station found safe

B.C. to offer COVID booster for 12-plus this fall

B.C. to offer COVID booster for 12-plus this fall
The advantage of getting the shot this fall is that new Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are expected to be more tailor-made to fight Omicron variants. Almost 94 per cent of B.C. residents have had their first shot, 91.2 per cent have had a second, but just 59.5 have had their booster.

B.C. to offer COVID booster for 12-plus this fall

One person injured after shots fired into a Surrey residence

One person injured after shots fired into a Surrey residence
A 40-year-old woman who was inside the residence suffered non-life threatening injuries and is in stable condition recovering in hospital. The Surrey RCMP General Investigation Unit has taken conduct of the investigation. The investigation is in the early stages and police are still working to determine a possible motive for this shooting.

One person injured after shots fired into a Surrey residence