Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

U.K. trade talks won't change with Boris ousting

U.K. trade talks won't change with Boris ousting
In a statement outside Downing Street today Johnson said he will be stepping down as prime minister after demands he go from Conservative MPs and the resignation of a string of his ministers.

U.K. trade talks won't change with Boris ousting

'Nightmare' in B.C. hospital for Quebec man

'Nightmare' in B.C. hospital for Quebec man
Patrick Bélanger, 23, said his experience is a warning for residents of Quebec and all Canadians who take pride in a universal health-care system because doctors in other provinces could deny treatment to Quebecers by maintaining they won't be compensated.

'Nightmare' in B.C. hospital for Quebec man

Fire destroys Vancouver Downtown Eastside church

Fire destroys Vancouver Downtown Eastside church
Flames broke out at about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday in a two-storey building in the 100 block of East Hastings Street and quickly spread to the adjoining two-storey structure housing the Vancouver Street Church.

Fire destroys Vancouver Downtown Eastside church

Motor vehicle crash due to collision with a hydro pole leads to road closures in South Surrey

Motor vehicle crash due to collision with a hydro pole leads to road closures in South Surrey
Surrey RCMP is advising the public that 184 Street is closed between 32 Avenue and 40 Avenue following a single vehicle motor vehicle accident that stuck a hydro pole.

Motor vehicle crash due to collision with a hydro pole leads to road closures in South Surrey

VPD investigates Downtown Eastside machete attack

VPD investigates Downtown Eastside machete attack
Multiple witnesses flagged down police on June 19 around 7 p.m., after a 49-year-old man and a 38-year-old woman were approached from behind by the suspect and allegedly slashed while loading their luggage into a taxi near Main and East Hastings streets.

VPD investigates Downtown Eastside machete attack

Unsettled weather causes another B.C. flash flood

Unsettled weather causes another B.C. flash flood
Environment Canada is reporting about six millimetres of rain fell at the Prince George airport Tuesday, but doesn't mention the localized, intense thunderstorm that deluged the city's downtown core, flooding several streets.

Unsettled weather causes another B.C. flash flood