Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Fraser Valley housing market continues to cool amid slower sales, softer prices

Fraser Valley housing market continues to cool amid slower sales, softer prices
Across Fraser Valley, in June, the average number of days to sell a single-family detached home was 21 and a townhome was 19 days. Apartments took, on average, 17 days to sell.

Fraser Valley housing market continues to cool amid slower sales, softer prices

Two males 16 & 17 years old arrested for stabbing a 16 year old at Panorama Ridge Secondary

Two males 16 & 17 years old arrested for stabbing a 16 year old at Panorama Ridge Secondary
Two suspects, 16 and 17 year old males, were located nearby and arrested by police. Initial indications are that there was an altercation between the parties involved, who were known to each other, prior to the stabbing.

Two males 16 & 17 years old arrested for stabbing a 16 year old at Panorama Ridge Secondary

Canada tossing 13.6 million AstraZeneca doses

Canada tossing 13.6 million AstraZeneca doses
A year ago Canada said it would donate almost 18 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine to lower-income countries. As of June 22, almost nine million doses were delivered to 21 different nations.

Canada tossing 13.6 million AstraZeneca doses

Quebec teen dies after bus crash in B.C.

Quebec teen dies after bus crash in B.C.
A statement from Castlegar RCMP says the crash happened Thursday as the 18-year-old woman and 15 other Quebec students were aboard the bus while taking part in the program at the nearby college.

Quebec teen dies after bus crash in B.C.

Man fatally shot in Surrey, B.C., attack

Man fatally shot in Surrey, B.C., attack
No suspects have been identified but a silver four-door Infiniti was spotted leaving the area and police are determining if a burning car found a short time later about five kilometres away could be connected.

Man fatally shot in Surrey, B.C., attack

Surrey's new hospital moving forward: Adrian Dix

Surrey's new hospital moving forward: Adrian Dix
The new hospital will have 168 beds, a surgical/perioperative suite with five operating rooms, four procedure rooms, an emergency department with 55 treatment spaces, and virtual care options in all clinical service areas.    

Surrey's new hospital moving forward: Adrian Dix