Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Richmond RCMP seek public’s help locating 33 year-old missing woman – Danielle Mahal

Richmond RCMP seek public’s help locating 33 year-old missing woman – Danielle Mahal
Mahal has been known to disappear for a few hours at a time in the past.  However, concern is now growing, as it is unusual for her to be out of touch with family members for this long a time. 

Richmond RCMP seek public’s help locating 33 year-old missing woman – Danielle Mahal

Heat warning issued in Yukon, wildfires flare

Heat warning issued in Yukon, wildfires flare
The weather agency issued a heat warning today for much of the territory with temperatures expected to reach 28 C with nighttime lows of 13 C. The warning applies to Whitehorse, Old Crow, Dawson and other regions throughout the central, southern and western regions of the territory.

Heat warning issued in Yukon, wildfires flare

Vancouver home sales down 35% from last June

Vancouver home sales down 35% from last June
The board's chair Daniel John says the drop in sales came because buyers have more properties to choose from, but rising interest rates and 39-year high inflation are causing them to be cautious and thus, listings are staying available for longer.

Vancouver home sales down 35% from last June

Port of Vancouver truckers warn of job action

Port of Vancouver truckers warn of job action
The statement says the port will not discuss the phaseout of all trucks that are 20 years old or older, even though most commercially licensed trucks elsewhere in B.C. don't face similar measure

Port of Vancouver truckers warn of job action

B.C. police recovering after bank shootout

B.C. police recovering after bank shootout
Three Saanich officers and three from the Victoria Police Department, all members of the emergency response team, were injured in the gunfight with two heavily armed robbers outside a Bank of Montreal.    

B.C. police recovering after bank shootout

Over 100 Sikh security guards lose jobs at City of Toronto security sites over rule that they need to be clean shaven, back on the job after WSO complaint

Over 100 Sikh security guards lose jobs at City of Toronto security sites over rule that they need to be clean shaven, back on the job after WSO complaint
The City was investigating a complaint from the World Sikh Organization of Canada that some of the City’s security guard contractors are not accommodating its employees who maintain facial hair for religious reasons and, therefore, cannot wear protective N95 respirators, which are required by public health directive in shelter settings where a COVID-19 outbreak is present. 

Over 100 Sikh security guards lose jobs at City of Toronto security sites over rule that they need to be clean shaven, back on the job after WSO complaint