Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey RCMP need public's help in finding missing 20 year old woman Simranjit Kaur

Surrey RCMP need public's help in finding missing 20 year old woman Simranjit Kaur
Simranjit Kaur is described as, 5’5”, 180 lbs, with long black hair and dark eyes. She was last seen wearing black leggings, a black long sleeved shirt, black Adidas runners and carrying a black purse. Police and family are concerned for her health and well-being.

Surrey RCMP need public's help in finding missing 20 year old woman Simranjit Kaur

Mechanical issues slow BC Ferries service

Mechanical issues slow BC Ferries service
A travel advisory posted on BC Ferries' website says a total of eight sailings out of either Departure or Horseshoe Bay are cancelled Thursday, but other sailings from both terminals will continue.

Mechanical issues slow BC Ferries service

Vancouver Police are investigating report of a man throwing a glass bottle at a baby in a stroller

Vancouver Police are investigating report of a man throwing a glass bottle at a baby in a stroller
Police received a report of a man throwing a glass bottle at the baby on June 27 around 4:30 p.m., at the intersection of Davie and Bidwell. The caller indicated the bottle didn’t hit the baby, but the contents were splashed on both the baby and the adults who were with him.

Vancouver Police are investigating report of a man throwing a glass bottle at a baby in a stroller

IHIT called to Port Coquitlam shooting

IHIT called to Port Coquitlam shooting
One person is confirmed deceased. Shooting appears to be targeted.

IHIT called to Port Coquitlam shooting

Omicron cousin BA.5 expected to dominate summer

Omicron cousin BA.5 expected to dominate summer
Modelling expert Sarah Otto of the Coronavirus Variants Rapid Response Network says the fast-spreading subvariant is on track to dominate infections across the country.  The University of British Columbia professor predicted a July wave, peaking in August.

Omicron cousin BA.5 expected to dominate summer

Canadians urged to prepare for fall COVID-19 vax

Canadians urged to prepare for fall COVID-19 vax
Canada's chief public health officer Theresa Tam says circulating Omicron subvariants BA.4 and BA.5 are even more transmissible and able to evade immunity than previous versions, making a rise in cases likely in coming weeks.

Canadians urged to prepare for fall COVID-19 vax