Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa loses $22 billion a year in unpaid tax: CRA

Ottawa loses $22 billion a year in unpaid tax: CRA
In its first report on Canada's "overall tax gap" released Tuesday, the CRA estimates the net tax gap for those five years, or the amount of the money owed to the government that it did not actually collect, totalled as much as $111.2 billion.    

Ottawa loses $22 billion a year in unpaid tax: CRA

Insurance Bureau looks toward Lytton's recovery

Insurance Bureau looks toward Lytton's recovery
A statement from bureau vice-president Aaron Sutherland says debris removal is starting on insured properties in the village, raising hopes that Lytton will "soon return as a thriving community."    

Insurance Bureau looks toward Lytton's recovery

Multiple injuries in shooting at B.C. bank

Multiple injuries in shooting at B.C. bank
Police in Saanich, B.C., near Victoria, say multiple people have been injured after an exchange of gunfire between suspects and police officers. Police are asking the public to avoid the area.  

Multiple injuries in shooting at B.C. bank

Heat stays in Yukon, storms approach in B.C.

Heat stays in Yukon, storms approach in B.C.
In B.C., the heat wave that pushed the mercury to the low- to mid-30s for three days has ended but severe thunderstorm watches are posted for the central and southern Interior.

Heat stays in Yukon, storms approach in B.C.

Surrey seizure of drugs and guns results in 1,520 potentially fatal doses of Fentanyl off the streets, enough to supply a full school.

Surrey seizure of drugs and guns results in 1,520 potentially fatal doses of Fentanyl off the streets, enough to supply a full school.
The passengers of the vehicle were identified and released pending further investigation. The 25-year old female driver remains in custody on a number of firearms related charges and the investigation remains ongoing.    

Surrey seizure of drugs and guns results in 1,520 potentially fatal doses of Fentanyl off the streets, enough to supply a full school.

One dead in a vehicle fire caused by a collision: Burnaby RCMP

One dead in a vehicle fire caused by a collision: Burnaby RCMP
The vehicle, described as a Black Jeep Cherokee was travelling northbound on Boundary Road prior to the collision. The driver, and sole occupant was pronounced dead on scene.

One dead in a vehicle fire caused by a collision: Burnaby RCMP