Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Woman violently assaulted by two strangers early Monday morning

Woman violently assaulted by two strangers early Monday morning
Residents near West 10th and Waterloo Street may see additional officers patrolling and knocking on doors. The suspects were men in their 20s who had their faces covered.

Woman violently assaulted by two strangers early Monday morning

Provinces still waiting on $2B for surgery backlog

Provinces still waiting on $2B for surgery backlog
Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos announced the one-time top-up to "expedite" surgeries on March 25, and he and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland introduced a bill in the House of Commons the same day to enable the funding.

Provinces still waiting on $2B for surgery backlog

Feds still not set on dental-care model

Feds still not set on dental-care model
As part of a confidence and supply deal with the NDP to avoid an election until 2025, the Liberals pledged to launch a federal dental-care program for low- and middle-income kids before the end of the year and aim to expand its eligibility over the next several years.

Feds still not set on dental-care model

Premiers tell feds to stop 'quibbling' over health

Premiers tell feds to stop 'quibbling' over health
It's been eight months since Prime Minister Justin Trudeau promised to meet with the premiers to address their request for stable, long-term health-care funding, and that meeting is overdue, Horgan told a news conference at the start of the final day of the premiers' Council of the Federation gathering in Victoria.

Premiers tell feds to stop 'quibbling' over health

Canadians worried about airport delays: poll

Canadians worried about airport delays: poll
A wide-ranging survey by Leger asked Canadians and Americans about issues including travel plans, airport delays and inflation. More than 80 per cent of Canadian respondents said they believe prices will keep going up, and 59 per cent say they think Canada is in an economic recession.    

Canadians worried about airport delays: poll

Duclos defends feds' health-care help to provinces

Duclos defends feds' health-care help to provinces
B.C. Premier John Horgan, who chairs the Council of the Federation comprising all the premiers, said the health-care system needs to be reimagined with a plan for sustainable human resources and stable federal funding.

Duclos defends feds' health-care help to provinces