Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada restoring random testing of air travellers

Canada restoring random testing of air travellers
Ottawa paused the random testing of vaccinated travellers entering Canada by air on June 11, while it worked on moving the tests themselves locations outside of airports. The government now says testing will resume as of July 19 for fully vaccinated travellers arriving at the Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Toronto airports.

Canada restoring random testing of air travellers

COVID vaccine for youngest kids approved

COVID vaccine for youngest kids approved
"After a thorough and independent scientific review of the evidence, the department has determined that the vaccine is safe and effective at preventing COVID-19 in children between 6 months and 5 years of age," the department said in a statement.

COVID vaccine for youngest kids approved

Overdose deaths set more records in B.C.: coroner

Overdose deaths set more records in B.C.: coroner
In at least 44 per cent of the cases, benzodiazepine was detected, which the coroner says doesn't respond to naloxone and makes reversing an overdose very difficult. At least 940 people died from toxic drugs in B.C. between January and May, which is also a record number for the start of a calendar year.

Overdose deaths set more records in B.C.: coroner

Man's body found in an industrial area of Burnaby, foul play confirmed: IHIT

Man's body found in an industrial area of Burnaby, foul play confirmed: IHIT
First responders were called to a gravel lot near a vacant building on Norland Avenue near Laurel Street around 9:45 am on Thursday, July 14 after a member of the public found an adult male who was deceased. The victim had injuries consistent with foul play. Efforts are underway to identify the victim, but there are early indications it was a targeted incident.

Man's body found in an industrial area of Burnaby, foul play confirmed: IHIT

Surrey-Langley SkyTrain to be operable by 2028

Surrey-Langley SkyTrain to be operable by 2028
Once complete, Fleming says it will take just 22 minutes to travel from Langley to King George station in Surrey, and just over an hour to get from Langley to downtown Vancouver.  The province says in a release that work on the project, including utility relocations and road widening, is already underway and major construction is expected to begin in 2024.

Surrey-Langley SkyTrain to be operable by 2028

Ripudaman Singh Malik, the man acquitted in Air India bombing, shot to death in Surrey

Ripudaman Singh Malik, the man acquitted in Air India bombing, shot to death in Surrey
This appears to be a targeted shooting. A suspect vehicle was located in the 12200 block of 82 Avenue fully engulfed in fire.

Ripudaman Singh Malik, the man acquitted in Air India bombing, shot to death in Surrey