Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Aug, 2019 06:10 PM
  • New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

TORONTO - Two men found guilty of terrorism charges in connection with a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. were granted a new trial Tuesday after Ontario's highest court found the jury that convicted them was improperly selected.

 

Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them. They were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole until 2023.

 

The two challenged their convictions, and lawyers for Jaser argued the trial judge mistakenly rejected their client's request regarding the method of jury selection.

 

The lawyer appointed to assist Esseghaier — who continues to be self-represented — agreed in written arguments that a new trial had to be ordered on that ground.

 

The law regarding jury selection was in flux during the trial but the appeal court said in its ruling that the approach used by the judge has since been deemed wrong. Several other cases have been overturned due to similar errors in recent years.

 

Though Esseghaier, who largely chose not to participate in the trial proceedings, had not expressed a preference as to jury selection, he should receive a new trial, the appeal court said Tuesday.

 

"Here, one jury was selected for both appellants. In the circumstances of this case, as the jury was not properly constituted for Jaser, it cannot be considered to have been properly constituted for Esseghaier," the court said in a unanimous decision.

 

Jaser had also raised other grounds for appeal but the jury issue was heard first. Both men also previously indicated they wished to challenge their sentences, but the call for a new trial makes that unnecessary.

 

The pair was arrested in April 2013 after a months-long investigation that involved an undercover FBI agent who gained their trust and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

 

The two were recorded speaking about terror plots they would conduct in retaliation for Canada's military actions in Muslim countries, including the derailment of a Via Rail train travelling between New York and Toronto.

 

Those recordings made up the bulk of the evidence in the case.

MORE National ARTICLES

10 Child Sex Charges Laid Against Man In B.C.; Police Say More Victims Possible

A 33-year-old man has been charged with 10 counts of sexually assaulting children at three locations in British Columbia.

10 Child Sex Charges Laid Against Man In B.C.; Police Say More Victims Possible

B.C. Herring Fishery Ends For Another Season, Controversy Over Catch Continues

Commercial fishing boats on the B.C. coast have returned to their home ports after a successful spring herring roe fishery in the Strait of Georgia off Vancouver Island, but opponents of the catch are already gearing up for next season.

B.C. Herring Fishery Ends For Another Season, Controversy Over Catch Continues

Clearwater Sikh Community Donates $164,000 To Charity After Sale Of Guru Tegh Bahadur Gurdwara

Until about 15 years ago the community had 55 families, he said, adding that the temple opened its doors in 1985.

Clearwater Sikh Community Donates $164,000 To Charity After Sale Of Guru Tegh Bahadur Gurdwara

Three Shootings In Surrey, B.C., Were Targeted: RCMP

Three Shootings In Surrey, B.C., Were Targeted: RCMP
The Mounties say two shootings early Wednesday are the third targeted shootings in Surrey, B.C., since Monday.

Three Shootings In Surrey, B.C., Were Targeted: RCMP

Report About Violence Against Downtown Eastside Women Calls For Change

It's one of 35 recommendations made in the Red Women Rising report released by the Downtown Eastside Women's Centre.    

Report About Violence Against Downtown Eastside Women Calls For Change

$20,000 Cash Seized From Alleged Richmond, B.C., Bawdy House Could Be Forfeited

British Columbia's director of civil forfeiture is taking steps to seize thousands of dollars from a couple accused of running a brothel in Richmond that was alleged to have used a 13-year-old as a prostitute.

$20,000 Cash Seized From Alleged Richmond, B.C., Bawdy House Could Be Forfeited