Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Aug, 2019 06:10 PM
  • New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

TORONTO - Two men found guilty of terrorism charges in connection with a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. were granted a new trial Tuesday after Ontario's highest court found the jury that convicted them was improperly selected.

 

Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them. They were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole until 2023.

 

The two challenged their convictions, and lawyers for Jaser argued the trial judge mistakenly rejected their client's request regarding the method of jury selection.

 

The lawyer appointed to assist Esseghaier — who continues to be self-represented — agreed in written arguments that a new trial had to be ordered on that ground.

 

The law regarding jury selection was in flux during the trial but the appeal court said in its ruling that the approach used by the judge has since been deemed wrong. Several other cases have been overturned due to similar errors in recent years.

 

Though Esseghaier, who largely chose not to participate in the trial proceedings, had not expressed a preference as to jury selection, he should receive a new trial, the appeal court said Tuesday.

 

"Here, one jury was selected for both appellants. In the circumstances of this case, as the jury was not properly constituted for Jaser, it cannot be considered to have been properly constituted for Esseghaier," the court said in a unanimous decision.

 

Jaser had also raised other grounds for appeal but the jury issue was heard first. Both men also previously indicated they wished to challenge their sentences, but the call for a new trial makes that unnecessary.

 

The pair was arrested in April 2013 after a months-long investigation that involved an undercover FBI agent who gained their trust and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

 

The two were recorded speaking about terror plots they would conduct in retaliation for Canada's military actions in Muslim countries, including the derailment of a Via Rail train travelling between New York and Toronto.

 

Those recordings made up the bulk of the evidence in the case.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man Sentenced To Life In Prison For Shooting Woman In The Head In Her Home

Man Sentenced To Life In Prison For Shooting Woman In The Head In Her Home
An Ontario man who shot a woman in the head several times in her apartment and left her body to decompose there has been sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years.

Man Sentenced To Life In Prison For Shooting Woman In The Head In Her Home

Rcmp In B.C. Ready To Unveil A New Strategy In Search For Accused Murderer

SURREY, B.C. — Police in British Columbia are preparing to announce a new strategy in the search for a wanted man.

Rcmp In B.C. Ready To Unveil A New Strategy In Search For Accused Murderer

Family Of Wendy Ladner-Beaudry Marks Anniversary Of Vancouver Woman's Murder

Family Of Wendy Ladner-Beaudry Marks Anniversary Of Vancouver Woman's Murder
SURREY, B.C. — The family of a woman found murdered in a southwest Vancouver park is making another appeal to the public on the tenth anniversary of her death.    

Family Of Wendy Ladner-Beaudry Marks Anniversary Of Vancouver Woman's Murder

Quebec Mother Found Guilty In Deaths Of Daughters To Appeal Verdict

Quebec Mother Found Guilty In Deaths Of Daughters To Appeal Verdict
MONTREAL — A Quebec mother convicted in the killings of her two young daughters will appeal the guilty verdicts.

Quebec Mother Found Guilty In Deaths Of Daughters To Appeal Verdict

Ontario Police Bust International Drug Ring, Seize 55 Kilos Of Cocaine

Police in Ontario say they've busted an international cocaine smuggling operation with links to Mexico and the United States after a large drug seizure at the border.

Ontario Police Bust International Drug Ring, Seize 55 Kilos Of Cocaine

One Year Later: Survivors In Broncos Crash Continue To Heal From Injuries

The 13 players who survived the Humboldt Broncos bus crash one year ago are dealing with injuries ranging from paralysis and back pain to brain damage and mental-health issues

One Year Later: Survivors In Broncos Crash Continue To Heal From Injuries