Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Aug, 2019 06:10 PM
  • New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

TORONTO - Two men found guilty of terrorism charges in connection with a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. were granted a new trial Tuesday after Ontario's highest court found the jury that convicted them was improperly selected.

 

Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them. They were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole until 2023.

 

The two challenged their convictions, and lawyers for Jaser argued the trial judge mistakenly rejected their client's request regarding the method of jury selection.

 

The lawyer appointed to assist Esseghaier — who continues to be self-represented — agreed in written arguments that a new trial had to be ordered on that ground.

 

The law regarding jury selection was in flux during the trial but the appeal court said in its ruling that the approach used by the judge has since been deemed wrong. Several other cases have been overturned due to similar errors in recent years.

 

Though Esseghaier, who largely chose not to participate in the trial proceedings, had not expressed a preference as to jury selection, he should receive a new trial, the appeal court said Tuesday.

 

"Here, one jury was selected for both appellants. In the circumstances of this case, as the jury was not properly constituted for Jaser, it cannot be considered to have been properly constituted for Esseghaier," the court said in a unanimous decision.

 

Jaser had also raised other grounds for appeal but the jury issue was heard first. Both men also previously indicated they wished to challenge their sentences, but the call for a new trial makes that unnecessary.

 

The pair was arrested in April 2013 after a months-long investigation that involved an undercover FBI agent who gained their trust and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

 

The two were recorded speaking about terror plots they would conduct in retaliation for Canada's military actions in Muslim countries, including the derailment of a Via Rail train travelling between New York and Toronto.

 

Those recordings made up the bulk of the evidence in the case.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada'S Failure To Fight Climate Change 'Disturbing,' Environment Watchdog Says

Canada'S Failure To Fight Climate Change 'Disturbing,' Environment Watchdog Says
OTTAWA — Environment Commissioner Julie Gelfand says Canada is not doing enough to combat climate change.    

Canada'S Failure To Fight Climate Change 'Disturbing,' Environment Watchdog Says

Cabinet Members Openly Debate Jody Wilson-Raybould's Future In Liberal Caucus

Jane Philpott left a meeting of her fellow Ontario Liberal MPs after just a few minutes Tuesday afternoon, leaving them to debate her future in the party caucus without her.    

Cabinet Members Openly Debate Jody Wilson-Raybould's Future In Liberal Caucus

Preliminary Search Finds No Reports Of Coerced Sterilization To Police: RCMP

Preliminary Search Finds No Reports Of Coerced Sterilization To Police: RCMP
In a letter to NDP health critic Don Davies, RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki says the Mounties searched their national database but did not find any criminal reports of forced or coerced sterilization.

Preliminary Search Finds No Reports Of Coerced Sterilization To Police: RCMP

MP Tony Clement Says He Will Not Seek Re-Election In October

MP Tony Clement Says He Will Not Seek Re-Election In October
OTTAWA — MP Tony Clement says he will not seek re-election, citing a desire to continue a "better lived life."    

MP Tony Clement Says He Will Not Seek Re-Election In October

Coleman Says Boyle's Violence Got Worse As Captivity Wore On

Joshua Boyle's estranged wife is detailing in court today his increasingly unsettled state as their time as hostages in Afghanistan wore on, and her hope the beatings she suffered in captivity would end with their release.

Coleman Says Boyle's Violence Got Worse As Captivity Wore On

Federal Cabinet Ministers Bibeau, Carr To Testify On Canola Feud With China

The federal trade and agriculture ministers will face questioning Tuesday afternoon from MPs about the government's handling of Canada's canola feud with China.

Federal Cabinet Ministers Bibeau, Carr To Testify On Canola Feud With China