Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Aug, 2019 06:10 PM
  • New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

TORONTO - Two men found guilty of terrorism charges in connection with a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. were granted a new trial Tuesday after Ontario's highest court found the jury that convicted them was improperly selected.

 

Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them. They were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole until 2023.

 

The two challenged their convictions, and lawyers for Jaser argued the trial judge mistakenly rejected their client's request regarding the method of jury selection.

 

The lawyer appointed to assist Esseghaier — who continues to be self-represented — agreed in written arguments that a new trial had to be ordered on that ground.

 

The law regarding jury selection was in flux during the trial but the appeal court said in its ruling that the approach used by the judge has since been deemed wrong. Several other cases have been overturned due to similar errors in recent years.

 

Though Esseghaier, who largely chose not to participate in the trial proceedings, had not expressed a preference as to jury selection, he should receive a new trial, the appeal court said Tuesday.

 

"Here, one jury was selected for both appellants. In the circumstances of this case, as the jury was not properly constituted for Jaser, it cannot be considered to have been properly constituted for Esseghaier," the court said in a unanimous decision.

 

Jaser had also raised other grounds for appeal but the jury issue was heard first. Both men also previously indicated they wished to challenge their sentences, but the call for a new trial makes that unnecessary.

 

The pair was arrested in April 2013 after a months-long investigation that involved an undercover FBI agent who gained their trust and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

 

The two were recorded speaking about terror plots they would conduct in retaliation for Canada's military actions in Muslim countries, including the derailment of a Via Rail train travelling between New York and Toronto.

 

Those recordings made up the bulk of the evidence in the case.

MORE National ARTICLES

Two Dead After Overnight Calgary Shooting Police Say Was Not Random

Two Dead After Overnight Calgary Shooting Police Say Was Not Random
Police say one man died at the scene and the second person died in hospital.

Two Dead After Overnight Calgary Shooting Police Say Was Not Random

'We Are Hockey' Unveiled At Sikh Heritage Museum In Abbotsford

This exhibit offers visitors a chance to see the pioneers of minorities in hockey as they follow the timeline to the present day where players of Punjabi descent and other minorities are starting to break through into the professional leagues. 

'We Are Hockey' Unveiled At Sikh Heritage Museum In Abbotsford

EDC Investigating Claim It Backed SNC-Lavalin On Corrupt Angola Dam Contract

EDC Investigating Claim It Backed SNC-Lavalin On Corrupt Angola Dam Contract
Export Development Canada says it's reviewing support it gave to SNC-Lavalin after learning of an allegation the agency backed the company on a dam project in Angola that it won corruptly.  

EDC Investigating Claim It Backed SNC-Lavalin On Corrupt Angola Dam Contract

Freeland Say Lifting U.S. Tariffs Is Part Of Ratification Of The New NAFTA

OTTAWA — Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland is linking the lifting of "absurd" U.S. tariffs on Canadian and Mexican steel to the ratification of the new North American free-trade deal.

Freeland Say Lifting U.S. Tariffs Is Part Of Ratification Of The New NAFTA

Sikh Heritage Month launches in B.C.

Sikh Heritage Month BC has launched a series of public awareness videos and premiere arts event – The Revival - to showcase the thriving arts and culture scene among Sikh youth in BC

Sikh Heritage Month launches in B.C.

Dozens Of Delegates Turn Their Backs On Trudeau As PM Defends His Feminist Credentials After Tossing 2 Women From Liberal Caucus

Dozens Of Delegates Turn Their Backs On Trudeau As PM Defends His Feminist Credentials After Tossing 2 Women From Liberal Caucus
Tracy Beshara, executive director of Marpole Oakridge Family Place in south Vancouver, said she has met Wilson-Raybould and she is a woman of "integrity and quality."

Dozens Of Delegates Turn Their Backs On Trudeau As PM Defends His Feminist Credentials After Tossing 2 Women From Liberal Caucus