Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Aug, 2019 06:10 PM
  • New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

TORONTO - Two men found guilty of terrorism charges in connection with a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. were granted a new trial Tuesday after Ontario's highest court found the jury that convicted them was improperly selected.

 

Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them. They were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole until 2023.

 

The two challenged their convictions, and lawyers for Jaser argued the trial judge mistakenly rejected their client's request regarding the method of jury selection.

 

The lawyer appointed to assist Esseghaier — who continues to be self-represented — agreed in written arguments that a new trial had to be ordered on that ground.

 

The law regarding jury selection was in flux during the trial but the appeal court said in its ruling that the approach used by the judge has since been deemed wrong. Several other cases have been overturned due to similar errors in recent years.

 

Though Esseghaier, who largely chose not to participate in the trial proceedings, had not expressed a preference as to jury selection, he should receive a new trial, the appeal court said Tuesday.

 

"Here, one jury was selected for both appellants. In the circumstances of this case, as the jury was not properly constituted for Jaser, it cannot be considered to have been properly constituted for Esseghaier," the court said in a unanimous decision.

 

Jaser had also raised other grounds for appeal but the jury issue was heard first. Both men also previously indicated they wished to challenge their sentences, but the call for a new trial makes that unnecessary.

 

The pair was arrested in April 2013 after a months-long investigation that involved an undercover FBI agent who gained their trust and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

 

The two were recorded speaking about terror plots they would conduct in retaliation for Canada's military actions in Muslim countries, including the derailment of a Via Rail train travelling between New York and Toronto.

 

Those recordings made up the bulk of the evidence in the case.

MORE National ARTICLES

No One Hurt: TSB Investigating After Heli-Skiing Chopper Rolls In Eastern B.C.

Bob Sayer, operations manager and senior guide with Mike Wiegele Helicopter Skiing, says the accident near Blue River occurred when the pilot "lost reference" and couldn't see the ground.

No One Hurt: TSB Investigating After Heli-Skiing Chopper Rolls In Eastern B.C.

Supreme Court Rules 'Belief' Requirement In Child Luring Law Is Unconstitutional

Supreme Court Rules 'Belief' Requirement In Child Luring Law Is Unconstitutional
OTTAWA — The Supreme Court of Canada says a provision of the country's internet child luring laws is unconstitutional and is ordering a new trial for a Toronto-area man.

Supreme Court Rules 'Belief' Requirement In Child Luring Law Is Unconstitutional

Jury Resumes Deliberations At Trial Of Father Accused Of Murdering Daughter, 5

Trent Butt is accused in the death of his daughter Quinn at his Carbonear, N.L., home in April 2016.    

Jury Resumes Deliberations At Trial Of Father Accused Of Murdering Daughter, 5

Kevin Vickers Announces He'll Seek New Brunswick Liberal Leadership

Kevin Vickers Announces He'll Seek New Brunswick Liberal Leadership
NEWCASTLE, N.B. — Kevin Vickers, hailed as a hero for helping to end the 2014 attack on Parliament Hill, is making a leap to politics.

Kevin Vickers Announces He'll Seek New Brunswick Liberal Leadership

'Finish The Job': NDP Urges Liberals To Expunge Cannabis Records Before Election

Murray Rankin put forward a private member's bill last year to expunge cannabis records, to ensure past records for simple possession are wiped outright.

'Finish The Job': NDP Urges Liberals To Expunge Cannabis Records Before Election

Mountie Charged With Assault In Stabbing At Drive-Thru In Edmonton In 2013

Mountie Charged With Assault In Stabbing At Drive-Thru In Edmonton In 2013
EDMONTON, B.C. — A Mountie has been charged with assault in relation to a stabbing at a fast food drive-thru in Edmonton six years ago.

Mountie Charged With Assault In Stabbing At Drive-Thru In Edmonton In 2013