Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Aug, 2019 06:10 PM
  • New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

TORONTO - Two men found guilty of terrorism charges in connection with a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. were granted a new trial Tuesday after Ontario's highest court found the jury that convicted them was improperly selected.

 

Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them. They were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole until 2023.

 

The two challenged their convictions, and lawyers for Jaser argued the trial judge mistakenly rejected their client's request regarding the method of jury selection.

 

The lawyer appointed to assist Esseghaier — who continues to be self-represented — agreed in written arguments that a new trial had to be ordered on that ground.

 

The law regarding jury selection was in flux during the trial but the appeal court said in its ruling that the approach used by the judge has since been deemed wrong. Several other cases have been overturned due to similar errors in recent years.

 

Though Esseghaier, who largely chose not to participate in the trial proceedings, had not expressed a preference as to jury selection, he should receive a new trial, the appeal court said Tuesday.

 

"Here, one jury was selected for both appellants. In the circumstances of this case, as the jury was not properly constituted for Jaser, it cannot be considered to have been properly constituted for Esseghaier," the court said in a unanimous decision.

 

Jaser had also raised other grounds for appeal but the jury issue was heard first. Both men also previously indicated they wished to challenge their sentences, but the call for a new trial makes that unnecessary.

 

The pair was arrested in April 2013 after a months-long investigation that involved an undercover FBI agent who gained their trust and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

 

The two were recorded speaking about terror plots they would conduct in retaliation for Canada's military actions in Muslim countries, including the derailment of a Via Rail train travelling between New York and Toronto.

 

Those recordings made up the bulk of the evidence in the case.

MORE National ARTICLES

28-Year-Old White Supremacist Australian Man Kills 49 In New Zealand's Christchurch Mosques Massacre

At least 49 people were killed when gunmen said to be whites opened indiscriminate fire at two mosques in Christchurch city on Friday in what a shocked New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said was a terror attack.

28-Year-Old White Supremacist Australian Man Kills 49 In New Zealand's Christchurch Mosques Massacre

California Grandmother Beant Kaur Dhillon Drowns Hours-Old Grandson To 'Prevent Family Shame', Buries Him In Backyard

Two people were arrested after the body of an hours-old baby boy were found in the backyard of a house in Bakersfield, California.

California Grandmother Beant Kaur Dhillon Drowns Hours-Old Grandson To 'Prevent Family Shame', Buries Him In Backyard

Roman Basran: A Goalie Achieving Goals

Roman Basran is on a mission and nothing is going to stop him from being part of the National Hockey League (NHL) ahead. 

Roman Basran: A Goalie Achieving Goals

Mounting Orphan B.C. Oil, Gas Wells Pose Environmental, Financial Risks: Auditor

Mounting Orphan B.C. Oil, Gas Wells Pose Environmental, Financial Risks: Auditor
VICTORIA — British Columbia's auditor general says there are almost 7,500 inactive oil and gas wells in the province that have not been properly decommissioned.

Mounting Orphan B.C. Oil, Gas Wells Pose Environmental, Financial Risks: Auditor

Airlines, Agencies Struggle To Respond As Passengers Rush To Rebook After Jet Ban

Airlines, Agencies Struggle To Respond As Passengers Rush To Rebook After Jet Ban
The message cites "unforeseen circumstances," and directs callers to Air Canada's website.    

Airlines, Agencies Struggle To Respond As Passengers Rush To Rebook After Jet Ban

Ontario Public Service Employees Sue Province, Unions Over Alleged Racism

Ontario Public Service Employees Sue Province, Unions Over Alleged Racism
Jean-Marie Dixon and Hentrose Nelson claim they experienced prolonged anti-black racism that led to harassment and mistreatment over their careers in the Ontario Public Service.

Ontario Public Service Employees Sue Province, Unions Over Alleged Racism