Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Aug, 2019 06:10 PM
  • New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

TORONTO - Two men found guilty of terrorism charges in connection with a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. were granted a new trial Tuesday after Ontario's highest court found the jury that convicted them was improperly selected.

 

Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them. They were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole until 2023.

 

The two challenged their convictions, and lawyers for Jaser argued the trial judge mistakenly rejected their client's request regarding the method of jury selection.

 

The lawyer appointed to assist Esseghaier — who continues to be self-represented — agreed in written arguments that a new trial had to be ordered on that ground.

 

The law regarding jury selection was in flux during the trial but the appeal court said in its ruling that the approach used by the judge has since been deemed wrong. Several other cases have been overturned due to similar errors in recent years.

 

Though Esseghaier, who largely chose not to participate in the trial proceedings, had not expressed a preference as to jury selection, he should receive a new trial, the appeal court said Tuesday.

 

"Here, one jury was selected for both appellants. In the circumstances of this case, as the jury was not properly constituted for Jaser, it cannot be considered to have been properly constituted for Esseghaier," the court said in a unanimous decision.

 

Jaser had also raised other grounds for appeal but the jury issue was heard first. Both men also previously indicated they wished to challenge their sentences, but the call for a new trial makes that unnecessary.

 

The pair was arrested in April 2013 after a months-long investigation that involved an undercover FBI agent who gained their trust and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

 

The two were recorded speaking about terror plots they would conduct in retaliation for Canada's military actions in Muslim countries, including the derailment of a Via Rail train travelling between New York and Toronto.

 

Those recordings made up the bulk of the evidence in the case.

MORE National ARTICLES

Hockey Wife's Blog Post Highlights Concerns Over Vaccine Misinformation: Experts

MONTREAL — An online post by the wife of an NHL star describing her children's "alternative" vaccine schedule highlights how easily misinformation about vaccines can be spread over social media, experts say.

Hockey Wife's Blog Post Highlights Concerns Over Vaccine Misinformation: Experts

Bill Morneau Drops More Hints On Skills-Training Plans In The 2019 Federal Budget

Bill Morneau is suggesting that next week's federal budget will include measures to help Canadians cover their bills if they choose to head back to school to boost their skills or change careers.

Bill Morneau Drops More Hints On Skills-Training Plans In The 2019 Federal Budget

Marc Garneau Orders Grounding Of All Boeing 737 Max 8s Over Safety Concerns

Transport Minister Marc Garneau is closing Canadian skies to the Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft, effectively grounding the planes over safety concerns arising from the crash of an Ethiopian Airlines flight that killed everyone on board, including 18 Canadians.

Marc Garneau Orders Grounding Of All Boeing 737 Max 8s Over Safety Concerns

Man Killed Daughter To Make His Estranged Wife Suffer, Crown Tells Murder Trial

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — A Crown prosecutor says a Newfoundland man murdered his five-year-old daughter in a calculated plan to inflict suffering on her mother, his estranged wife.

Man Killed Daughter To Make His Estranged Wife Suffer, Crown Tells Murder Trial

Lack Of Funding Prompts B.C.'s Legal-Aid Lawyers To Plan Service Withdrawal

Lack Of Funding Prompts B.C.'s Legal-Aid Lawyers To Plan Service Withdrawal
VANCOUVER — British Columbia's legal-aid lawyers have voted overwhelmingly to start withdrawing their services next month over lack of funding.    

Lack Of Funding Prompts B.C.'s Legal-Aid Lawyers To Plan Service Withdrawal

Vancouver Opens 2,000 Cases, Takes Action Against 800 Short-Term Rentals

VANCOUVER — The City of Vancouver says it's opened more than 2,000 case files and taken enforcement action against 820 suspected unauthorized short-term rentals since new rules came into effect requiring operators to have a business licence.  

Vancouver Opens 2,000 Cases, Takes Action Against 800 Short-Term Rentals