Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Mar, 2022 04:48 PM
  • Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

OTTAWA - Assistant RCMP Commissioner Michel Arcand says the Mounties only gave the names of people directly involved in Ottawa protests to banks to freeze their accounts

Arcand is appearing at the House of Commons finance committee today during its study of the government's use of the Emergencies Act to bring an end to blockades in Ottawa and several border crossings.

He says the RCMP did not send banks the names of any people who only donated to the Freedom Convoy or names of people involved in protests outside Ottawa.

Hundreds of demonstrators blockaded roads in Ottawa for more than three weeks last month, and similar demonstrations blocked four major border crossings in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia.

Arcand says the intelligence about who was involved in the Ottawa protests was gathered by the RCMP, Ontario Provincial Police and Ottawa police before the names were given to banks.

Arcand says the accounts were frozen to encourage protesters to leave and to discourage others to join the protests.

MORE National ARTICLES

New COVID-19 modelling numbers coming in B.C.

New COVID-19 modelling numbers coming in B.C.
On Monday, the province reported seven more deaths and 1,853 new cases of COVID-19 diagnosed over a three-day period from Friday to Monday. From Friday to Saturday, there were 769 cases, but the number dropped to 503 on Sunday to Monday.

New COVID-19 modelling numbers coming in B.C.

O'Toole, Singh campaign denounce protesters

O'Toole, Singh campaign denounce protesters
The leader's warning came one day after several Conservative campaign workers were spotted among a crowd of raucous protesters who forced the cancellation of a Liberal event featuring Justin Trudeau in Bolton, Ont.

O'Toole, Singh campaign denounce protesters

'Reconsider' travel to Canada, U.S. CDC warns

'Reconsider' travel to Canada, U.S. CDC warns
The new Level 3 travel advisory, issued today, marks a quick end to a three-week period when the warning to would-be travellers to Canada had been eased to "exercise increased caution."

'Reconsider' travel to Canada, U.S. CDC warns

1853 COVID19 cases over 3 days

1853 COVID19 cases over 3 days
84.2% (3,904,121) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 76.4% (3,541,731) received their second dose.

1853 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Cleaning, dietary workers coming back in-house at B.C. hospitals

Cleaning, dietary workers coming back in-house at B.C. hospitals
The province is working with the Hospital Employees' Union, health authorities and contractors on its plan, he said. The transition to government employment will end before most of the contracts expire by March, Dix said.

Cleaning, dietary workers coming back in-house at B.C. hospitals

Charges laid for fire that razed Coptic Orthodox Church, 35 year old woman arrested

Charges laid for fire that razed Coptic Orthodox Church, 35 year old woman arrested
The St. George church was the target of two incidents of arson, the first on July 14, the second on July 19, 2021, that destroyed the church.  Following an investigation by the Surrey RCMP Major Crime Section, a 35-year old woman was arrested on August 26, 2021.

Charges laid for fire that razed Coptic Orthodox Church, 35 year old woman arrested