Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Mar, 2022 04:48 PM
  • Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

OTTAWA - Assistant RCMP Commissioner Michel Arcand says the Mounties only gave the names of people directly involved in Ottawa protests to banks to freeze their accounts

Arcand is appearing at the House of Commons finance committee today during its study of the government's use of the Emergencies Act to bring an end to blockades in Ottawa and several border crossings.

He says the RCMP did not send banks the names of any people who only donated to the Freedom Convoy or names of people involved in protests outside Ottawa.

Hundreds of demonstrators blockaded roads in Ottawa for more than three weeks last month, and similar demonstrations blocked four major border crossings in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia.

Arcand says the intelligence about who was involved in the Ottawa protests was gathered by the RCMP, Ontario Provincial Police and Ottawa police before the names were given to banks.

Arcand says the accounts were frozen to encourage protesters to leave and to discourage others to join the protests.

MORE National ARTICLES

Speed a factor in crash that killed hockey players

Speed a factor in crash that killed hockey players
In a news release, police say investigators have found that the car was travelling at a speed "significantly greater" than the posted limit. Emergency services personnel were called out early Saturday after a car hit a tree.

Speed a factor in crash that killed hockey players

'We need your support,' pleads female Afghan activist once helped by Canada

'We need your support,' pleads female Afghan activist once helped by Canada
Canadian taxpayer dollars have funded various projects that she has worked on that were designed to raise the rights of women and girls over the last 20 years.

'We need your support,' pleads female Afghan activist once helped by Canada

More wildfires in B.C. classified as held

More wildfires in B.C. classified as held
Emergency Management BC says most of the blazes are in the Kamloops, southeast and Prince George fire centres. It says there are about 35 evacuation orders in place as well as 83 evacuation alerts, which means people should be ready to leave at short notice.

More wildfires in B.C. classified as held

867 COVID19 cases for Friday

867 COVID19 cases for Friday
Three more people have died, while 159 people are in hospital and 84 of those are in intensive care. There are 5,657 active cases in the province and nearly 39 per cent of those are in the Interior Health region, where tougher restrictions were put in place this month.

867 COVID19 cases for Friday

B.C. provides $12.9 million for fairs, festivals

B.C. provides $12.9 million for fairs, festivals
Melanie Mark, the minister of tourism, arts, culture and sport, says events will be eligible to claim up to $250,000 with applications open until Oct. 1. The money can go toward operational costs, health and safety measures, venue rental, marketing, wages and promotion.

B.C. provides $12.9 million for fairs, festivals

Sex charges for man who allegedly assaulted a 12 year old girl in Granville Island Market: VPD

Sex charges for man who allegedly assaulted a 12 year old girl in Granville Island Market: VPD
The BC Prosecution Service has approved charges of sexual assault and sexual interference against Sangris, related to an incident on August 13. VPD is continuing to investigate the possibility of any connections between that incident and other unsolved gropings in the area.

Sex charges for man who allegedly assaulted a 12 year old girl in Granville Island Market: VPD