Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Mar, 2022 04:48 PM
  • Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

OTTAWA - Assistant RCMP Commissioner Michel Arcand says the Mounties only gave the names of people directly involved in Ottawa protests to banks to freeze their accounts

Arcand is appearing at the House of Commons finance committee today during its study of the government's use of the Emergencies Act to bring an end to blockades in Ottawa and several border crossings.

He says the RCMP did not send banks the names of any people who only donated to the Freedom Convoy or names of people involved in protests outside Ottawa.

Hundreds of demonstrators blockaded roads in Ottawa for more than three weeks last month, and similar demonstrations blocked four major border crossings in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia.

Arcand says the intelligence about who was involved in the Ottawa protests was gathered by the RCMP, Ontario Provincial Police and Ottawa police before the names were given to banks.

Arcand says the accounts were frozen to encourage protesters to leave and to discourage others to join the protests.

MORE National ARTICLES

Parties pounce on problematic candidates

Parties pounce on problematic candidates
The Conservatives started the day by questioning tax arrears that Liberal candidate Steven Guilbeault disclosed in a parliamentary ethics filing, which the heritage minister later explained to reporters travelling on the campaign stem from his separation and are being resolved.

Parties pounce on problematic candidates

B.C. evacuation orders, wildfires slowly tick down

B.C. evacuation orders, wildfires slowly tick down
Emergency Management BC says 28 orders were in place today, covering more than 3,900 properties, while residents of another 6,255 properties were told to be ready to leave on short notice.    

B.C. evacuation orders, wildfires slowly tick down

Shooting in parking lot of a fast food restaurant in Whalley: Surrey RCMP

Shooting in parking lot of a fast food restaurant in Whalley: Surrey RCMP
Members of the public reported seeing an argument between two groups of males, which escalated into the use of pepper spray and then shots were fired. The males left the area in two separate vehicles prior to police arrival.

Shooting in parking lot of a fast food restaurant in Whalley: Surrey RCMP

Leaders on the move as campaign continues

Leaders on the move as campaign continues
Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole's party started the day by questioning tax arrears that Liberal candidate Steven Guilbeault disclosed in a parliamentary ethics filing.

Leaders on the move as campaign continues

Man shot in Surrey

Man shot in Surrey
Upon arrival, officers located a 35 year old male suffering from a gunshot wound to his lower leg who has been transported to a local area hospital in stable condition with non life-threatening injuries.    

Man shot in Surrey

Moderna COVID-19 vaccine approved for teenagers

Moderna COVID-19 vaccine approved for teenagers
Moderna applied for authorization for youth in early June, citing a clinical trial of 3,700 youth in which none of the teens who got two doses developed a COVID-19 infection.

Moderna COVID-19 vaccine approved for teenagers