Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Two Arrested Following Trans Mountain Pipeline Protest In Coquitlam, B.C.

    RCMP say nine people were peacefully protesting Thursday but police were called in when the protesters began blocking equipment and highway traffic.

    Two Arrested Following Trans Mountain Pipeline Protest In Coquitlam, B.C.

    Single Racer Braves Freezing Temperatures To Finish Yukon Ultra-Marathon

    Single Racer Braves Freezing Temperatures To Finish Yukon Ultra-Marathon
    The cold was so persistent that about seven contestants had to drop out to seek medical attention for frostbite, he added.

    Single Racer Braves Freezing Temperatures To Finish Yukon Ultra-Marathon

    Newfoundland Police Investigate Sudden Death Of Teen Amid Reports Of Bullying

    GANDER, N.L. — Police are investigating the sudden death of a 14-year-old Newfoundland girl, saying they are aware of social media allegations in the case but don't yet know what precipitated the death.

    Newfoundland Police Investigate Sudden Death Of Teen Amid Reports Of Bullying

    B.C. Eliminates Prescription Deductibles For People Earning Under $30,000

    B.C. Eliminates Prescription Deductibles For People Earning Under $30,000
    British Columbia has announced plans to eliminate or reduce prescription-drug deductibles for low-income earners.

    B.C. Eliminates Prescription Deductibles For People Earning Under $30,000

    ICBC Operational Review Identifies Additional $60 Million Savings

    ICBC Operational Review Identifies Additional $60 Million Savings
    A government-directed independent review of ICBC has identified over $60 million in potential savings to the public insurer. This follows on the product reforms announced earlier this week by Attorney General David Eby.

    ICBC Operational Review Identifies Additional $60 Million Savings

    New Homes For Vulnerable People In Richmond

    New Homes For Vulnerable People In Richmond
    The Province is partnering with the City of Richmond to build 40 new homes with 24/7 support services to address the immediate needs of people in the community struggling to find a stable place to live.

    New Homes For Vulnerable People In Richmond