Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Shifts Family Day, Beginning In 2019; Better For Business And Family

    B.C. Shifts Family Day, Beginning In 2019; Better For Business And Family
    VICTORIA – Starting next year, British Columbia’s Family Day will be moved to the third week in February so families across the country can celebrate together, announced Premier John Horgan.

    B.C. Shifts Family Day, Beginning In 2019; Better For Business And Family

    B.C. Invests In Teacher Education Programs In Effort To Ease Teacher Shortage

    B.C. Invests In Teacher Education Programs In Effort To Ease Teacher Shortage
    VICTORIA — Teacher shortages across British Columbia have prompted the government to invest in training and recruitment programs.

    B.C. Invests In Teacher Education Programs In Effort To Ease Teacher Shortage

    NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh ‘Deeply Disturbed' By Harassment Allegations Against Former MP

    NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh ‘Deeply Disturbed' By Harassment Allegations Against Former MP
    Federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says he's "deeply disturbed" by allegations of inappropriate behaviour levied against longtime former New Democrat MP Peter Stoffer.

    NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh ‘Deeply Disturbed' By Harassment Allegations Against Former MP

    Fundraiser For Quebec Man Paralyzed In Mosque Shooting Reaches $400,000 Goal

    Fundraiser For Quebec Man Paralyzed In Mosque Shooting Reaches $400,000 Goal
    MONTREAL — A fundraiser to find a new home for a man who lost use of his legs in last year's Quebec City mosque shooting has reached its $400,000 goal.

    Fundraiser For Quebec Man Paralyzed In Mosque Shooting Reaches $400,000 Goal

    A List Of High-profile Canadians Facing Allegations Of Inappropriate Behaviour

    A List Of High-profile Canadians Facing Allegations Of Inappropriate Behaviour
    A glance at some of the high-profile Canadians facing allegations of inappropriate behaviour in recent months:

    A List Of High-profile Canadians Facing Allegations Of Inappropriate Behaviour

    Fraudsters Bilk $5.1 Million From Torontonians In Landline Phone Scam: Police

    Toronto police are issuing a warning after a phone fraud scheme recently bilked five people in the city out of a combined $5.1 million, with investigators saying the scam appears to be targeting hundreds of people across the country.

    Fraudsters Bilk $5.1 Million From Torontonians In Landline Phone Scam: Police