Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

Darpan News Desk City of Surrey, 14 May, 2021 04:49 PM
  • Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

The City of Surrey moves a step closer in eliminating the negative environmental impacts of plastic bags and other single-use Items.  Council approved the Communication and Education Plan to prepare businesses for the ban on plastic bags and foam takeout container and cups, planned to begin in November 2021.

“I’m proud that Surrey is anticipated to be the first city in the Metro Vancouver region to implement a ban on plastic checkout bags,” says Mayor McCallum.  “Council has been leading the way on green initiatives and this step is proof of the measures we are prepared to take to protect and better our environment. This move affirms Surrey’s commitment to reducing landfill waste and pollution created by these types of materials. In the coming months, we will be working closely with our business community to support them on this very important initiative that is good for our citizens, our communities and our City.”

The City will lead a comprehensive communication and education plan to help businesses phase out and eliminate the use and distribution of plastic checkout bags, foam cups and take-out containers. The plan outlines key tools, resources and awareness activities which will prepare businesses and the public for the upcoming ban.

The plan will include:

  • A business toolkit;
  • Virtual information sessions;
  • Brochures; and
  • Additional engagement activities and resources.

Other municipalities, provinces, and the federal government are making similar commitments to reducing unnecessary waste and pollution caused by short-lived plastics that are designed for limited use with limited recyclability.

For more information, visit surrey.ca/singleuse.

Photo courtesy of Istock. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Meng's device info collection 'necessary': Crown

Meng's device info collection 'necessary': Crown
John Gibb-Carsley told the B.C. Supreme Court Meng's charter rights weren't violated because her devices were seized as part of her arrest and the recording of the serial numbers days later was an extension of that.

Meng's device info collection 'necessary': Crown

Senior official explains handling of Vance affair

Senior official explains handling of Vance affair
In a parliamentary committee hearing today, Sherman says she exchanged emails with "people in the Prime Minister's Office" about an allegation against Vance, though she declined to name them, citing non-disclosure rules around staff who are not public servants.

Senior official explains handling of Vance affair

Fines coming for cross-border cannabis violations

Fines coming for cross-border cannabis violations
The Canada Border Services Agency plans to issue penalties of between $200 and $2,000 to travellers who fail to properly declare cannabis imports, which will be seized.

Fines coming for cross-border cannabis violations

Gun-control group to MPs: Vote against new bill

Gun-control group to MPs: Vote against new bill
In a letter sent out this week, PolySeSouvient says the recently tabled legislation is a Liberal capitulation to the firearms lobby and amounts to throwing in the towel on gun control.

Gun-control group to MPs: Vote against new bill

Opposition urged to speed up election

Opposition urged to speed up election
During debate on the legislation, multiple opposition MPs said there was no need to end debate quickly because there is no imminent need for an election — unless the Liberals are planning on calling one.

Opposition urged to speed up election

Sentencing arguments in triple-murder case

Sentencing arguments in triple-murder case
Dustin Duthie, 27, had earlier pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the 2018 deaths of Taylor Toller and Shawn Boshuk and first-degree murder in the death of Alan Pennylegion.

Sentencing arguments in triple-murder case