Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

Darpan News Desk City of Surrey, 14 May, 2021 04:49 PM
  • Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

The City of Surrey moves a step closer in eliminating the negative environmental impacts of plastic bags and other single-use Items.  Council approved the Communication and Education Plan to prepare businesses for the ban on plastic bags and foam takeout container and cups, planned to begin in November 2021.

“I’m proud that Surrey is anticipated to be the first city in the Metro Vancouver region to implement a ban on plastic checkout bags,” says Mayor McCallum.  “Council has been leading the way on green initiatives and this step is proof of the measures we are prepared to take to protect and better our environment. This move affirms Surrey’s commitment to reducing landfill waste and pollution created by these types of materials. In the coming months, we will be working closely with our business community to support them on this very important initiative that is good for our citizens, our communities and our City.”

The City will lead a comprehensive communication and education plan to help businesses phase out and eliminate the use and distribution of plastic checkout bags, foam cups and take-out containers. The plan outlines key tools, resources and awareness activities which will prepare businesses and the public for the upcoming ban.

The plan will include:

  • A business toolkit;
  • Virtual information sessions;
  • Brochures; and
  • Additional engagement activities and resources.

Other municipalities, provinces, and the federal government are making similar commitments to reducing unnecessary waste and pollution caused by short-lived plastics that are designed for limited use with limited recyclability.

For more information, visit surrey.ca/singleuse.

Photo courtesy of Istock. 

MORE National ARTICLES

'No evidence' Meng's device info was shared: Crown

'No evidence' Meng's device info was shared: Crown
John Gibb-Carsley told the B.C. Supreme Court that the burden of proof is on Meng's legal team to show the numbers were shared, but they can't do it.

'No evidence' Meng's device info was shared: Crown

Questions over delayed vaccine doses for seniors

Questions over delayed vaccine doses for seniors
After supplies slowed to a trickle earlier this year, the National Advisory Committee on Immunization said provinces and territories can delay second doses by as long as four months.

Questions over delayed vaccine doses for seniors

B.C. raises fines for breaking COVID-19 rules

B.C. raises fines for breaking COVID-19 rules
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says it's become clear in the last few months that the risk of paying the ticket isn't enough of a deterrence.

B.C. raises fines for breaking COVID-19 rules

No choice but scramble on COVID-19: AG

No choice but scramble on COVID-19: AG
She also found the government's financial support programs rolled out well, but now extensive efforts will be needed to ensure the money went where it was supposed to.

No choice but scramble on COVID-19: AG

Forces ombud backs predecessor's handling of Vance

Forces ombud backs predecessor's handling of Vance
While Lick says he would not have been able to speak to either, the head of the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service indicated to the committee that Sajjan himself could have referred the matter to his unit.

Forces ombud backs predecessor's handling of Vance

Vancouver Police are looking for help identifying suspect in Art Gallery mischief

Vancouver Police are looking for help identifying suspect in Art Gallery mischief
The person filming is a dark-skinned man and appears to be between 19 and 23 years old. He has a thin build, brown eyes, and black shoulder length curly hair.

Vancouver Police are looking for help identifying suspect in Art Gallery mischief