Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

Darpan News Desk City of Surrey, 14 May, 2021 04:49 PM
  • Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

The City of Surrey moves a step closer in eliminating the negative environmental impacts of plastic bags and other single-use Items.  Council approved the Communication and Education Plan to prepare businesses for the ban on plastic bags and foam takeout container and cups, planned to begin in November 2021.

“I’m proud that Surrey is anticipated to be the first city in the Metro Vancouver region to implement a ban on plastic checkout bags,” says Mayor McCallum.  “Council has been leading the way on green initiatives and this step is proof of the measures we are prepared to take to protect and better our environment. This move affirms Surrey’s commitment to reducing landfill waste and pollution created by these types of materials. In the coming months, we will be working closely with our business community to support them on this very important initiative that is good for our citizens, our communities and our City.”

The City will lead a comprehensive communication and education plan to help businesses phase out and eliminate the use and distribution of plastic checkout bags, foam cups and take-out containers. The plan outlines key tools, resources and awareness activities which will prepare businesses and the public for the upcoming ban.

The plan will include:

  • A business toolkit;
  • Virtual information sessions;
  • Brochures; and
  • Additional engagement activities and resources.

Other municipalities, provinces, and the federal government are making similar commitments to reducing unnecessary waste and pollution caused by short-lived plastics that are designed for limited use with limited recyclability.

For more information, visit surrey.ca/singleuse.

Photo courtesy of Istock. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Charges laid in relation to burned body discovered in Burnaby's Greentree Village Park

Charges laid in relation to burned body discovered in Burnaby's Greentree Village Park
IHIT says Charges have been laid in connection with the burned body discovered in Burnaby's Greentree Village Park on March 18. 

Charges laid in relation to burned body discovered in Burnaby's Greentree Village Park

'Playbook' ignores cases against defence chiefs

'Playbook' ignores cases against defence chiefs
The playbook’s existence was revealed by acting defence chief Lt.-Gen. Wayne Eyre earlier this week, as he laid out a series of new initiatives the military is taking to address sexual misconduct in the ranks.

'Playbook' ignores cases against defence chiefs

716 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

716 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There have been three new COVID-19 related deaths, for a total of 1,441 deaths in British Columbia.

716 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Unmasked man arrested for assault at Metropolis at Metrotown

Unmasked man arrested for assault at Metropolis at Metrotown
Burnaby frontline investigators responded and arrested a 48-year-old West Vancouver man, charging him with Fail to wear a face covering, a contravention of the Emergency Programs Act.

Unmasked man arrested for assault at Metropolis at Metrotown

Microsoft Canada expanding in Vancouver

Microsoft Canada expanding in Vancouver
“The expansion of Microsoft’s cloud services and its investment in building applications further establishes the Lower Mainland as a growing hub for technology and innovation“. 

Microsoft Canada expanding in Vancouver

Tourism workers to help with B.C. vaccinations

Tourism workers to help with B.C. vaccinations
Premier John Horgan says the province has partnered with 14 hard-hit businesses across the province to help get some of their employees back to work.

Tourism workers to help with B.C. vaccinations