Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

Darpan News Desk City of Surrey, 14 May, 2021 04:49 PM
  • Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

The City of Surrey moves a step closer in eliminating the negative environmental impacts of plastic bags and other single-use Items.  Council approved the Communication and Education Plan to prepare businesses for the ban on plastic bags and foam takeout container and cups, planned to begin in November 2021.

“I’m proud that Surrey is anticipated to be the first city in the Metro Vancouver region to implement a ban on plastic checkout bags,” says Mayor McCallum.  “Council has been leading the way on green initiatives and this step is proof of the measures we are prepared to take to protect and better our environment. This move affirms Surrey’s commitment to reducing landfill waste and pollution created by these types of materials. In the coming months, we will be working closely with our business community to support them on this very important initiative that is good for our citizens, our communities and our City.”

The City will lead a comprehensive communication and education plan to help businesses phase out and eliminate the use and distribution of plastic checkout bags, foam cups and take-out containers. The plan outlines key tools, resources and awareness activities which will prepare businesses and the public for the upcoming ban.

The plan will include:

  • A business toolkit;
  • Virtual information sessions;
  • Brochures; and
  • Additional engagement activities and resources.

Other municipalities, provinces, and the federal government are making similar commitments to reducing unnecessary waste and pollution caused by short-lived plastics that are designed for limited use with limited recyclability.

For more information, visit surrey.ca/singleuse.

Photo courtesy of Istock. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada surpasses 10 per cent vaccination mark

Canada surpasses 10 per cent vaccination mark
Dr. Howard Njoo, Canada's deputy chief public health officer, announced on Thursday that the country had surpassed the 10 per cent mark of residents over 18 who have received at least one dose of a COVID vaccine.

Canada surpasses 10 per cent vaccination mark

Feds earmark $7.2 billion for health, cities

Feds earmark $7.2 billion for health, cities
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland says COVID-19 has placed extreme pressure on health-care systems across the country and Canadians need help urgently.

Feds earmark $7.2 billion for health, cities

Ottawa says COVID vaccine distribution ramping up

Ottawa says COVID vaccine distribution ramping up
Deputy chief public health officer, Dr. Howard Njoo, says the country has surpassed the 10 per cent mark of residents over 18 who have received at least one shot.

Ottawa says COVID vaccine distribution ramping up

Reaction to the Supreme Court carbon tax decision

Reaction to the Supreme Court carbon tax decision
“The fact remains that this tax represents higher costs for millions of Canadian families and businesses, causing significant economic pain in exchange for no environmental gain."

Reaction to the Supreme Court carbon tax decision

Tories want senior PMO staff, or PM, at committee

Tories want senior PMO staff, or PM, at committee
Liberal House leader Pablo Rodriguez says it has long been a practice of Parliament for the buck to stop with cabinet ministers when it comes to who is held responsible and questioned at committee.

Tories want senior PMO staff, or PM, at committee

Had COVID? You may need just one vaccine shot

Had COVID? You may need just one vaccine shot
The committee is "actively reviewing evidence on the protection offered by one dose for those previously infected, and whether a second dose continues to be necessary," says a statement from the panel.

Had COVID? You may need just one vaccine shot