Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Nov, 2025 10:21 AM
  • Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

The British Columbia government has brought in new rules that limit when an employer can ask for a sick note, saving doctors the burden of writing them and preventing patients from spreading their illness even further. 

A government statement says that under new employment standards regulations, an employer can't ask for a note for the first two health-related absences of up to five consecutive days in the same year.

Health Minister Josie Osborne says the new rules that started Wednesday will ensure that those who are sick can stay home to recover, while reducing the unnecessary administrative burden on physicians. 

Dr. Lisa Gaede, a family physician and Doctors of BC representative, says sick notes put an "enormous burden on physicians and other primary care providers," and the change means they can be more available for patients who need their help. 

The statement says the changes are based on advice from care providers, who say scientific evidence shows that most minor illnesses for adults, such as flu or cold, have symptoms that resolve within five days. 

Labour Minister Jennifer Whiteside says when someone is sick with the flu, the last thing they want to do is go to their doctor to get a note that says they're sick. 

"Unnecessary medical appointments take time away from patients who need to see their doctors and nurses, don't help people get better any faster and risk further spread of illness," she says in the statement. 

The Canadian Medication Association estimates that B.C. doctors wrote about 1.6 million such notes last year. 

The statement says that health-related absences include when an employee or member of their immediate family is sick or injured.

The government says that health-care providers throughout the province have called for relief from administrative burdens, including such notes, that take them away from patient care. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

MPs reject Trump's idea of clearing out Gaza as Israeli minister points to Canada

MPs reject Trump's idea of clearing out Gaza as Israeli minister points to Canada
Canadian politicians are pushing back on the idea of clearing Palestinians out of the Gaza Strip as an Israeli minister suggests some of them could be sent to Canada. The previous day, U.S. President Donald Trump stunned leaders across the Middle East and beyond when he suggested that the territory be cleared out and made into a U.S.-owned resort destination.

MPs reject Trump's idea of clearing out Gaza as Israeli minister points to Canada

Ottawa, provinces should discuss possibility of west-east oil pipeline: Wilkinson

Ottawa, provinces should discuss possibility of west-east oil pipeline: Wilkinson
Federal Energy Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says Ottawa and the provinces should discuss the possibility of an oil pipeline to Eastern Canada to improve energy security and diversify trade. Wilkinson said Thursday that United States President Donald Trump's tariff threats have exposed "vulnerabilities" in the Canadian economy, including in the energy sector. 

Ottawa, provinces should discuss possibility of west-east oil pipeline: Wilkinson

Federal government commits more than $160 million to Jasper recovery

Federal government commits more than $160 million to Jasper recovery
The fire-ravaged town of Jasper, Alta., has received two pieces of critical funding from the federal and provincial governments as it attempts to stabilize in the wake of last summer's devastating wildfire. The federal government announced on Thursday it's committing $162 million to the recovery in Jasper, Alta. — a portion of which is being dedicated to interim and long-term housing.

Federal government commits more than $160 million to Jasper recovery

Fast-track approval no guarantee of success for B.C. mines, researcher suggests

Fast-track approval no guarantee of success for B.C. mines, researcher suggests
The mining industry is applauding the British Columbia government's decision to fast-track permits for several projects amid the ongoing U.S. tariff threat, but research suggests economic factors have been behind long delays for many other proposals. Simon Fraser University associate professor Rosemary Collard says research shows that regulatory fast-tracking of mining projects is no guarantee that they will all materialize.

Fast-track approval no guarantee of success for B.C. mines, researcher suggests

Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation
At a press conference Thursday, Birju Dattani spoke about lawsuits he has filed against Conservative deputy leader Melissa Lantsman, media personality Ezra Levant and the Jewish advocacy group Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs over statements made about him on social media last year. One of the defendants has called Dattani's claims "baseless."

Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

Five women sexually assaulted in B.C. 'grateful' for lawsuit victory, lawyers say

Five women sexually assaulted in B.C. 'grateful' for lawsuit victory, lawyers say
Lawyers for five women who were sexually assaulted in Vancouver decades ago say their clients are grateful they won a civil lawsuit against a man acquitted of the crimes due to state misconduct. The B.C. Supreme Court awarded the five plaintiffs $375,000 each in damages from Ivan Henry for attacks in the early 1980s, in a case that set off decades of legal battles over his wrongful conviction, for which he won $8 million in his own civil lawsuit in 2016.

Five women sexually assaulted in B.C. 'grateful' for lawsuit victory, lawyers say