Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Nov, 2025 10:21 AM
  • Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

The British Columbia government has brought in new rules that limit when an employer can ask for a sick note, saving doctors the burden of writing them and preventing patients from spreading their illness even further. 

A government statement says that under new employment standards regulations, an employer can't ask for a note for the first two health-related absences of up to five consecutive days in the same year.

Health Minister Josie Osborne says the new rules that started Wednesday will ensure that those who are sick can stay home to recover, while reducing the unnecessary administrative burden on physicians. 

Dr. Lisa Gaede, a family physician and Doctors of BC representative, says sick notes put an "enormous burden on physicians and other primary care providers," and the change means they can be more available for patients who need their help. 

The statement says the changes are based on advice from care providers, who say scientific evidence shows that most minor illnesses for adults, such as flu or cold, have symptoms that resolve within five days. 

Labour Minister Jennifer Whiteside says when someone is sick with the flu, the last thing they want to do is go to their doctor to get a note that says they're sick. 

"Unnecessary medical appointments take time away from patients who need to see their doctors and nurses, don't help people get better any faster and risk further spread of illness," she says in the statement. 

The Canadian Medication Association estimates that B.C. doctors wrote about 1.6 million such notes last year. 

The statement says that health-related absences include when an employee or member of their immediate family is sick or injured.

The government says that health-care providers throughout the province have called for relief from administrative burdens, including such notes, that take them away from patient care. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

From Musk to mushrooms, Canadian buyers let money do the talking amid tariff turmoil

From Musk to mushrooms, Canadian buyers let money do the talking amid tariff turmoil
Finance worker Michael Atkinson is a fan of electric cars, but lately he found himself embarrassed to drive his Tesla Model 3 around Vancouver. Dismayed by Tesla CEO Elon Musk and his association with U.S. President Donald Trump, Atkinson now drives an electric Volkswagen ID.4 after returning his Tesla to the dealership with two months left on the lease.

From Musk to mushrooms, Canadian buyers let money do the talking amid tariff turmoil

Fact-checking Trump's executive order threatening tariffs on Canada

Fact-checking Trump's executive order threatening tariffs on Canada
To justify his executive order imposing stiff tariffs on goods from Canada, Mexico and China, U.S. President Donald Trump cited an "extraordinary threat posed by illegal aliens and drugs, including deadly fentanyl." Trump agreed Monday to pause the planned tariffs against Canada and Mexico for 30 days in response to both countries promising to bolster border security.

Fact-checking Trump's executive order threatening tariffs on Canada

Ministers call on Washington lawmakers to scrap tariff threat completely

Ministers call on Washington lawmakers to scrap tariff threat completely
A month-long pause on Donald Trump's tariff threat has done little to ease Canadian concerns as key cabinet ministers return to Washington hoping to push the devastating duties off the table permanently. Wilkinson is making the case among key Republicans for a Canada-U. S. energy and resource alliance — part of an effort to align with U.S. President Donald Trump's goal of making America energy dominant.

Ministers call on Washington lawmakers to scrap tariff threat completely

Canada presses on with trade diversification strategy in face of Trump's threats

Canada presses on with trade diversification strategy in face of Trump's threats
As U.S. President Donald Trump continues to hold out the threat of steep tariffs on Canadian imports, the federal trade minister is citing a new deal with Ecuador as proof that its trade diversification strategy is working. Mary Ng told The Canadian Press the free-trade agreement with Ecuador, the sixth-largest economy in South America, is the 16th such deal signed since the government launched its trade diversification push eight years ago.

Canada presses on with trade diversification strategy in face of Trump's threats

Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of Ismaili Muslims, dead at 88

Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of Ismaili Muslims, dead at 88
The Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of the world’s Ismaili Muslims, has died at the age of 88. A post on social media from the Aga Khan Development Network says he passed away peacefully today in Lisbon, surrounded by his family.

Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of Ismaili Muslims, dead at 88

No Canadian soldiers assigned to border enforcement, minister says

No Canadian soldiers assigned to border enforcement, minister says
Public Safety Minister David McGuinty says there is no plan to send Canadian soldiers to the Canada-U.S. border. In a bid to head off crippling tariffs threatened by U.S. President Donald Trump, Canada has committed to tasking 10,000 frontline personnel with protecting the border.

No Canadian soldiers assigned to border enforcement, minister says