Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Nov, 2025 10:21 AM
  • Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

The British Columbia government has brought in new rules that limit when an employer can ask for a sick note, saving doctors the burden of writing them and preventing patients from spreading their illness even further. 

A government statement says that under new employment standards regulations, an employer can't ask for a note for the first two health-related absences of up to five consecutive days in the same year.

Health Minister Josie Osborne says the new rules that started Wednesday will ensure that those who are sick can stay home to recover, while reducing the unnecessary administrative burden on physicians. 

Dr. Lisa Gaede, a family physician and Doctors of BC representative, says sick notes put an "enormous burden on physicians and other primary care providers," and the change means they can be more available for patients who need their help. 

The statement says the changes are based on advice from care providers, who say scientific evidence shows that most minor illnesses for adults, such as flu or cold, have symptoms that resolve within five days. 

Labour Minister Jennifer Whiteside says when someone is sick with the flu, the last thing they want to do is go to their doctor to get a note that says they're sick. 

"Unnecessary medical appointments take time away from patients who need to see their doctors and nurses, don't help people get better any faster and risk further spread of illness," she says in the statement. 

The Canadian Medication Association estimates that B.C. doctors wrote about 1.6 million such notes last year. 

The statement says that health-related absences include when an employee or member of their immediate family is sick or injured.

The government says that health-care providers throughout the province have called for relief from administrative burdens, including such notes, that take them away from patient care. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Ontario PCs pledge billions in stimulus that would flow after election if tariffs hit

Ontario PCs pledge billions in stimulus that would flow after election if tariffs hit
Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Doug Ford is defending simultaneously wearing two hats — campaigning in a snap election he called and taking anti-tariff actions as premier. This is a bad time for Ontario to find itself in an election, the other political party leaders say, amid the chaos of U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threats. 

Ontario PCs pledge billions in stimulus that would flow after election if tariffs hit

B.C. wildfire crews return from California deployment to combat L.A. fires

B.C. wildfire crews return from California deployment to combat L.A. fires
More than 30 firefighters from British Columbia's Wildfire Service have returned home from a deployment fighting large fires that destroyed thousands of homes around Southern California. The Ministry of Forests say the crews are part of two separate groups, the first consisting of 13 technical specialists who were deployed on Jan. 11 to support the effort to combat the Palisades wildfire in L.A.

B.C. wildfire crews return from California deployment to combat L.A. fires

B.C. Court of Appeal orders new trial for husband in 'rape role-play' case

B.C. Court of Appeal orders new trial for husband in 'rape role-play' case
The B.C. Court of Appeal says a man convicted of sexually assaulting his wife deserves a new trial because messages between the pair about a consensual "rape role-play" scenario were wrongfully excluded as evidence. The ruling released on Friday says the complainant and accused, who can't be identified under a publication ban, were married but separated at the time of the alleged sexual assault in November 2019. 

B.C. Court of Appeal orders new trial for husband in 'rape role-play' case

6 charged in illicit drug trafficking

6 charged in illicit drug trafficking
Police in Burnaby say six people are facing a combined total of 36 charges related to illicit drug trafficking. A statement from the R-C-M-P says they were part of a "particularly violent" drug-trafficking organization with links to the Lower Mainland gang conflict.

6 charged in illicit drug trafficking

Man charged in fatal Coquitlam stabbing

Man charged in fatal Coquitlam stabbing
Police say a 32-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder after a fatal stabbing outside a Coquitlam pub last week. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says Coquitlam R-C-M-P had responded to a call about a fight outside the John B Pub on Friday night.

Man charged in fatal Coquitlam stabbing

Canada's chief justice decries misinformation as top court turns 150

Canada's chief justice decries misinformation as top court turns 150
Canada's top court is expanding its public outreach to build trust at a time of increasing misinformation as more people get their news from social media. Chief Justice Richard Wagner and other justices of the Supreme Court of Canada launched a cross-country tour in Victoria, B.C., on Monday to mark the court's 150th anniversary.

Canada's chief justice decries misinformation as top court turns 150