Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Nov, 2025 10:21 AM
  • Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

The British Columbia government has brought in new rules that limit when an employer can ask for a sick note, saving doctors the burden of writing them and preventing patients from spreading their illness even further. 

A government statement says that under new employment standards regulations, an employer can't ask for a note for the first two health-related absences of up to five consecutive days in the same year.

Health Minister Josie Osborne says the new rules that started Wednesday will ensure that those who are sick can stay home to recover, while reducing the unnecessary administrative burden on physicians. 

Dr. Lisa Gaede, a family physician and Doctors of BC representative, says sick notes put an "enormous burden on physicians and other primary care providers," and the change means they can be more available for patients who need their help. 

The statement says the changes are based on advice from care providers, who say scientific evidence shows that most minor illnesses for adults, such as flu or cold, have symptoms that resolve within five days. 

Labour Minister Jennifer Whiteside says when someone is sick with the flu, the last thing they want to do is go to their doctor to get a note that says they're sick. 

"Unnecessary medical appointments take time away from patients who need to see their doctors and nurses, don't help people get better any faster and risk further spread of illness," she says in the statement. 

The Canadian Medication Association estimates that B.C. doctors wrote about 1.6 million such notes last year. 

The statement says that health-related absences include when an employee or member of their immediate family is sick or injured.

The government says that health-care providers throughout the province have called for relief from administrative burdens, including such notes, that take them away from patient care. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Gang leader and another man charged after shooting in Fort Nelson, B.C.

Gang leader and another man charged after shooting in Fort Nelson, B.C.
A man well known to police and identified in the courts as a gang leader faces charges in connection with a shooting in Fort Nelson, B.C.  Police say Jarrod Bacon has been charged with aggravated assault, while John Chasse faces an assault charge in connection with the shooting that sent one person to hospital last Wednesday.

Gang leader and another man charged after shooting in Fort Nelson, B.C.

B.C. human rights commissioner wants study of police in schools after board's firing

B.C. human rights commissioner wants study of police in schools after board's firing
British Columbia's human rights commissioner says the provincial government has effectively made police liaison programs mandatory in schools with its firing of the Greater Victoria school board, while failing to provide a factual basis for the decision. Kasari Govender says in a letter to Education Minister Lisa Beare and Public Safety Minister Gary Begg that failure to fund research into the matter is contrary to the government's human rights obligations "and undermines its stated values to combat racism."

B.C. human rights commissioner wants study of police in schools after board's firing

Man injured in avalanche on Vancouver Island, taken by rescue helicopter to hospital

Man injured in avalanche on Vancouver Island, taken by rescue helicopter to hospital
A man has been seriously injured in an avalanche on Vancouver Island and required the rescue helicopter to fly him directly to hospital for treatment. Metro Vancouver-based North Shore Rescue says in a social media post that the man was partially buried in a slide in the backcountry near the Mount Cain ski area on northern Vancouver Island on Sunday. 

Man injured in avalanche on Vancouver Island, taken by rescue helicopter to hospital

Drug deaths in B.C. drop 13 per cent, hitting four-year low of 2,253

Drug deaths in B.C. drop 13 per cent, hitting four-year low of 2,253
The BC Coroners Service says toxic drug deaths in British Columbia were down 13 per cent last year, with the toll now lower than any year since 2020. Chief Coroner Dr. Jatinder Baidwan says the decline is consistent with elsewhere in Canada and internationally, but doesn't mitigate the fact that 2,253 people died of overdoses in B.C. last year, or the grief felt by their loved ones.

Drug deaths in B.C. drop 13 per cent, hitting four-year low of 2,253

Metro Vancouver to stay cold for at least a week with wintry road conditions

Metro Vancouver to stay cold for at least a week with wintry road conditions
This week's wintry blast of snow in Metro Vancouver will likely remain on the ground, with below-average temperatures forecasted well into next week. Environment Canada meteorologist Alyssa Charbonneau says while temperatures may moderate slightly during the daytime over the weekend, whatever's melted will likely refreeze at night.

Metro Vancouver to stay cold for at least a week with wintry road conditions

B.C. puts its response to U.S. tariffs on hold after 30-day delay

B.C. puts its response to U.S. tariffs on hold after 30-day delay
British Columbia Premier David Eby says his government will pause its response to threatened American tariffs after a 30-day reprieve was negotiated today between Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and U.S. President Donald Trump. 

B.C. puts its response to U.S. tariffs on hold after 30-day delay