Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Dec, 2021 01:28 PM
  • Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Jagmeet Singh says he would support federal intervention in a court challenge to a Quebec law known as Bill 21, which bans teachers and some other public-sector workers from wearing religious symbols on the job.

The NDP leader said Tuesday he always believed the law was discriminatory but has hardened his stance on court action following the case of a teacher in Chelsea, Que., who was reassigned because she wears a hijab.

Fatemeh Anvari, a Grade 3 teacher, was told she could no longer teach in a classroom because her hijab contravened the Quebec law.

Parents and children, along with community members, have protested outside the school to voice opposition to the law and express support for the teacher.

Speaking at an Ottawa news conference, Singh said it was unfair that a Muslim woman who wears a hijab would not be allowed to teach in Quebec, but her brother, who does not wear any religious symbols, would be permitted to do the job.

"Given what we have seen in Chelsea, given that we saw a woman that was removed from the classroom just because of the way she looks … now is the moment to be very clear and say if this case gets to the federal level then the federal government should support the three million Quebecers who are opposed to this law and opposed to discrimination," he said.

Singh has previously criticized the law but stopped short of calling for federal intervention in the past.

The NDP leader, who is Sikh and wears a turban, said Tuesday he has experienced discrimination himself.

"The federal government should support the Quebecers who are fighting this discrimination in court," he added.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said earlier this week that he deeply disagrees with Bill 21 and his government has not ruled out intervening in a legal battle against the law "at some point in time."

Tory Leader Erin O'Toole has said the issue is a matter for Quebec.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said in French: "We understand in Quebec, once again, that the federal parties are unanimously against Quebec on the issue of secularism."

MORE National ARTICLES

87 COVID19 cases over 3 days

87 COVID19 cases over 3 days
More than 78 per cent of those eligible in B.C. have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine while 36 per cent have had their second shot.

87 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Possible tornado touched down in northern B.C.

Possible tornado touched down in northern B.C.
Environment Canada is investigating the possibility that a tornado swept through the Fort St. John area in northern B.C. Meteorologist Doug Lundquist says the powerful system started above the wildfires in the Interior last week, on the same day much of the town of Lytton was destroyed by a fire.

Possible tornado touched down in northern B.C.

IHIT taken over case with body found in Abbotsford

IHIT taken over case with body found in Abbotsford
This morning, Monday, July 5, 2021, at 5:09 am, Abbotsford Police Patrol officers responded to a report of a body found in the Clinton Ave access parking lot of Clearbrook Park.   

IHIT taken over case with body found in Abbotsford

Trudeau hits road in campaign-style announcement

Trudeau hits road in campaign-style announcement
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is back on the road, announcing hundreds of millions of dollars in climate spending from his Liberal government Monday in what would not have looked out of place on the campaign trail.

Trudeau hits road in campaign-style announcement

Canada COVID Alert app: $20M for limited results

Canada COVID Alert app: $20M for limited results
The federal government spent $20 million on a smartphone application designed to alert users to possible COVID-19 exposures, and new data obtained by The Canadian Press shows the results didn't live up to expectations.

Canada COVID Alert app: $20M for limited results

Metro Vancouver real estate market cooled in June

Metro Vancouver real estate market cooled in June
The real estate market in Metro Vancouver eased in June from its record-setting pace in March and April. The Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver says the number of home sold in the region totalled 3,762 last month, up 54 per cent from the 2,443 sales recorded a year earlier, but down 11.9 per cent from the 4,268 sold in May 2021.

Metro Vancouver real estate market cooled in June