Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Dec, 2021 01:28 PM
  • Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Jagmeet Singh says he would support federal intervention in a court challenge to a Quebec law known as Bill 21, which bans teachers and some other public-sector workers from wearing religious symbols on the job.

The NDP leader said Tuesday he always believed the law was discriminatory but has hardened his stance on court action following the case of a teacher in Chelsea, Que., who was reassigned because she wears a hijab.

Fatemeh Anvari, a Grade 3 teacher, was told she could no longer teach in a classroom because her hijab contravened the Quebec law.

Parents and children, along with community members, have protested outside the school to voice opposition to the law and express support for the teacher.

Speaking at an Ottawa news conference, Singh said it was unfair that a Muslim woman who wears a hijab would not be allowed to teach in Quebec, but her brother, who does not wear any religious symbols, would be permitted to do the job.

"Given what we have seen in Chelsea, given that we saw a woman that was removed from the classroom just because of the way she looks … now is the moment to be very clear and say if this case gets to the federal level then the federal government should support the three million Quebecers who are opposed to this law and opposed to discrimination," he said.

Singh has previously criticized the law but stopped short of calling for federal intervention in the past.

The NDP leader, who is Sikh and wears a turban, said Tuesday he has experienced discrimination himself.

"The federal government should support the Quebecers who are fighting this discrimination in court," he added.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said earlier this week that he deeply disagrees with Bill 21 and his government has not ruled out intervening in a legal battle against the law "at some point in time."

Tory Leader Erin O'Toole has said the issue is a matter for Quebec.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said in French: "We understand in Quebec, once again, that the federal parties are unanimously against Quebec on the issue of secularism."

MORE National ARTICLES

Two Vancouver Police officers seriously stabbed in Chinatown

Two Vancouver Police officers seriously stabbed in Chinatown
Two Vancouver Police officers were stabbed this morning while responding to a 9-1-1 call about a forcible confinement involving a 2 year-old child. Both officers were transported to hospital where they are now in stable condition.

Two Vancouver Police officers seriously stabbed in Chinatown

Birthday hug results in jewellery stolen from elderly woman, suspects involved of South Asian descent

Birthday hug results in jewellery stolen from elderly woman, suspects involved of South Asian descent
The driver is described as a middle-aged South Asian man, with a beard. The passenger, who allegedly stole the victim’s jewelry, is described as a middle-aged South Asian woman.

Birthday hug results in jewellery stolen from elderly woman, suspects involved of South Asian descent

Restrictions to ease for fully vaccinated Cdns

Restrictions to ease for fully vaccinated Cdns
After nearly 16 months of rigid travel restrictions, Canada is finally starting to loosen the rules — but only for a specific few. Effective Monday, fully vaccinated Canadians and permanent residents — those who have had a full course of a COVID-19 vaccine approved for use in Canada — will be able to skip the 14-day quarantine.

Restrictions to ease for fully vaccinated Cdns

Canada to receive 3.7 million doses of COVID-19

Canada to receive 3.7 million doses of COVID-19
The federal government is expecting to receive 3.7 million more doses of COVID-19 vaccines this week, bringing the total of COVID-19 vaccine deliveries above 53.7 million doses.

Canada to receive 3.7 million doses of COVID-19

Out-of-province fire crews head to B.C.

Out-of-province fire crews head to B.C.
Firefighting teams from Ontario and New Brunswick are arriving in British Columbia to assist with devastating wildfires. The BC Wildfire Service says the nearly 100 out-of-province members must pass COVID-19 safety checks before being sent into the field.

Out-of-province fire crews head to B.C.

7 dead in house fire near Calgary

7 dead in house fire near Calgary
7 people, including 4 children, have died in a house fire in a community just east of Calgary. The RCMP say two families were in the home in Chestermere when the fire happened early today.

7 dead in house fire near Calgary