Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Snowbirds aerobatic team grounded until early 2030s while new planes purchased

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 May, 2026 09:08 AM
  • Snowbirds aerobatic team grounded until early 2030s while new planes purchased

The federal government says the Canadian Forces Snowbirds team is being grounded until the early 2030s while its aging planes are replaced.

It says the modern CT-157 Siskin II aircraft will take over for the CT-114 Tutor jets.

This year will be the aerial acrobatic squadron's final season with its Tutor fleet.

Defence Minister David McGuinty is to announce details today at the team's home base, 15 Wing Moose Jaw in Saskatchewan.

The Tutor planes were introduced in the 1960s.

The Snowbirds, formed in 1971, have performed at thousands of air shows and will continue to be based in Moose Jaw.

"This will ensure that Canada continues its strong tradition of air demonstration capability with a modern fleet that will ultimately rebuild to the team’s distinctive nine-plane formation," the government said in a statement.

There has been speculation about the future of the squadron.

Federal Opposition Conservative Fraser Tolmie raised the issue earlier this month.

He told question period that air shows across North America are "quietly being told" they can't book the Snowbirds for events in 2027 and that this summer will be their final season.

McGuinty had said that the team's fleet is approaching the end of its life, but the Snowbirds would continue air demonstrations as long as the planes remain safe.

Tolmie, who represents Moose Jaw and is a former mayor of the city, has said it's time to get the ball rolling on a replacement fleet contract and "save our Snowbirds."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. nurses vote 98.2% in favour of strike, but say they want to get back to table

B.C. nurses vote 98.2% in favour of strike, but say they want to get back to table
Members of British Columbia’s nurses union have voted overwhelmingly to strike after six months of “super frustrating” negotiations that are going nowhere, union president Adriane Gear said Tuesday. 

B.C. nurses vote 98.2% in favour of strike, but say they want to get back to table

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT
On Monday, City Council voted to move Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on King George Boulevard, one of the region’s busiest north-south corridors, into the full design stage.  

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Zelenskyy says Ukraine has a 'drone deal' with Canada in the works

Zelenskyy says Ukraine has a 'drone deal' with Canada in the works
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy says his country has started preparations for a military drone deal with Canada.

Zelenskyy says Ukraine has a 'drone deal' with Canada in the works

Smith says caucus executive director didn't report voter list meeting to higher-ups

Smith says caucus executive director didn't report voter list meeting to higher-ups
Premier Danielle Smith says the buck stops with her caucus when it comes to questions over why Smith didn’t know sooner about a massive breach of private information on Albertans.

Smith says caucus executive director didn't report voter list meeting to higher-ups

MP calls on Canadians to fill out census as some express privacy concerns

MP calls on Canadians to fill out census as some express privacy concerns
As some Canadians claim that the federal government's national census violates their privacy, a Liberal member of Parliament is calling on them to fill out their 2026 census forms for the good of their communities.

MP calls on Canadians to fill out census as some express privacy concerns

Doug Ford says he won't attack other bids in his push for Toronto as defence bank HQ

Doug Ford says he won't attack other bids in his push for Toronto as defence bank HQ
Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he doesn't believe in attacking other cities' bids to host a multinational defence bank as he makes his own pitch for Toronto as the best choice for the project.

Doug Ford says he won't attack other bids in his push for Toronto as defence bank HQ