Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Snowbirds aerobatic team grounded until early 2030s while new planes purchased

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 May, 2026 09:08 AM
  • Snowbirds aerobatic team grounded until early 2030s while new planes purchased

The federal government says the Canadian Forces Snowbirds team is being grounded until the early 2030s while its aging planes are replaced.

It says the modern CT-157 Siskin II aircraft will take over for the CT-114 Tutor jets.

This year will be the aerial acrobatic squadron's final season with its Tutor fleet.

Defence Minister David McGuinty is to announce details today at the team's home base, 15 Wing Moose Jaw in Saskatchewan.

The Tutor planes were introduced in the 1960s.

The Snowbirds, formed in 1971, have performed at thousands of air shows and will continue to be based in Moose Jaw.

"This will ensure that Canada continues its strong tradition of air demonstration capability with a modern fleet that will ultimately rebuild to the team’s distinctive nine-plane formation," the government said in a statement.

There has been speculation about the future of the squadron.

Federal Opposition Conservative Fraser Tolmie raised the issue earlier this month.

He told question period that air shows across North America are "quietly being told" they can't book the Snowbirds for events in 2027 and that this summer will be their final season.

McGuinty had said that the team's fleet is approaching the end of its life, but the Snowbirds would continue air demonstrations as long as the planes remain safe.

Tolmie, who represents Moose Jaw and is a former mayor of the city, has said it's time to get the ball rolling on a replacement fleet contract and "save our Snowbirds."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. invests $1 million in 'lightning reduction' technology in bid to reduce fires

B.C. invests $1 million in 'lightning reduction' technology in bid to reduce fires
The British Columbia government is investing up to $1 million on field-testing new technology from a Vancouver company that aims to both predict and prevent lightning that may trigger wildfires.

B.C. invests $1 million in 'lightning reduction' technology in bid to reduce fires

Here's a quick glance at unemployment rates for April, by province

Here's a quick glance at unemployment rates for April, by province
Canada's national unemployment rate was 6.9 per cent in April

Here's a quick glance at unemployment rates for April, by province

Canadian official arrives in Tenerife ahead of hantavirus cruise ship: Anand

Canadian official arrives in Tenerife ahead of hantavirus cruise ship: Anand
Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says one consular officer has arrived in the Canary Islands, where four Canadians on a cruise ship that was hit with a hantavirus outbreak are set to arrive Sunday morning.

Canadian official arrives in Tenerife ahead of hantavirus cruise ship: Anand

Mass cybersecurity breach of learning platform hits Canadian post-secondary schools

Mass cybersecurity breach of learning platform hits Canadian post-secondary schools
Multiple post-secondary institutions across Canada say they've been impacted by a cyberattack targeting an education system used by thousands of schools globally.

Mass cybersecurity breach of learning platform hits Canadian post-secondary schools

Surrey Soccer Fan Zones kick off with opening celebration on June 12

Surrey Soccer Fan Zones kick off with opening celebration on June 12
The City of Surrey will officially launch its Surrey Soccer Fan Zones with a free opening celebration on June 12 at Civic Plaza, where fans can gather to watch Canada’s first match of the FIFA World Cup 26™ on the big screen. In honour of this once-in-a-lifetime moment, the first 250 fans will receive a $10 coupon redeemable at all food and beverage vendors onsite, along with additional giveaways.

Surrey Soccer Fan Zones kick off with opening celebration on June 12

Bengal Guv’s office announces dissolution of Legislative Assembly

Bengal Guv’s office announces dissolution of Legislative Assembly
The office of the West Bengal Governor, R. B. Ravi, on Thursday announced the dissolution of the state Legislative Assembly amid the announcement of the results of the recently concluded West Bengal Assembly polls on May 4, establishing BJP’s thumping two-thirds majority.

Bengal Guv’s office announces dissolution of Legislative Assembly