Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Snowbirds aerobatic team grounded until early 2030s while new planes purchased

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 May, 2026 09:08 AM
  • Snowbirds aerobatic team grounded until early 2030s while new planes purchased

The federal government says the Canadian Forces Snowbirds team is being grounded until the early 2030s while its aging planes are replaced.

It says the modern CT-157 Siskin II aircraft will take over for the CT-114 Tutor jets.

This year will be the aerial acrobatic squadron's final season with its Tutor fleet.

Defence Minister David McGuinty is to announce details today at the team's home base, 15 Wing Moose Jaw in Saskatchewan.

The Tutor planes were introduced in the 1960s.

The Snowbirds, formed in 1971, have performed at thousands of air shows and will continue to be based in Moose Jaw.

"This will ensure that Canada continues its strong tradition of air demonstration capability with a modern fleet that will ultimately rebuild to the team’s distinctive nine-plane formation," the government said in a statement.

There has been speculation about the future of the squadron.

Federal Opposition Conservative Fraser Tolmie raised the issue earlier this month.

He told question period that air shows across North America are "quietly being told" they can't book the Snowbirds for events in 2027 and that this summer will be their final season.

McGuinty had said that the team's fleet is approaching the end of its life, but the Snowbirds would continue air demonstrations as long as the planes remain safe.

Tolmie, who represents Moose Jaw and is a former mayor of the city, has said it's time to get the ball rolling on a replacement fleet contract and "save our Snowbirds."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang

MORE National ARTICLES

'Kicking it into gear': Jason Kenney says pro-Canada forces must counter separatism

'Kicking it into gear': Jason Kenney says pro-Canada forces must counter separatism
Former Alberta premier Jason Kenney says it's high time federal MPs take a stand and fight against those who wish to see Canada torn apart.

'Kicking it into gear': Jason Kenney says pro-Canada forces must counter separatism

Hantavirus testing might not be useful for people without symptoms: experts

Hantavirus testing might not be useful for people without symptoms: experts
Health experts say it's not clear whether it's useful to test people who may have been exposed to hantavirus but don't have symptoms. 

Hantavirus testing might not be useful for people without symptoms: experts

Forests Minister Parmar says B.C. has flagged Middle East as emerging export market

Forests Minister Parmar says B.C. has flagged Middle East as emerging export market
British Columbia Forests Minister Ravi Parmar says the province could be selling more wood in the Middle East among other emerging markets to curtail its dependence on the United States.

Forests Minister Parmar says B.C. has flagged Middle East as emerging export market

Vancouver's Oakridge Park mall to open May 28, part of 5-million-square-foot project

Vancouver's Oakridge Park mall to open May 28, part of 5-million-square-foot project
The Oakridge Park shopping mall in Vancouver, which is part of a massive retail and residential project, has set May 28 as its opening date.

Vancouver's Oakridge Park mall to open May 28, part of 5-million-square-foot project

Economic growth now tops environment as priority in energy policy, poll suggests

Economic growth now tops environment as priority in energy policy, poll suggests
More Canadians now say economic growth should be a bigger priority in Canada's energy policy than protecting the environment, a new Angus Reid Institute report suggests.

Economic growth now tops environment as priority in energy policy, poll suggests

No Canadians had known direct contact with hantavirus on ship: B.C. health official

No Canadians had known direct contact with hantavirus on ship: B.C. health official
None of the Canadians who were on a ship struck by an outbreak of deadly hantavirus had any known direct contact with anyone who was infected, British Columbia's provincial health officer says.

No Canadians had known direct contact with hantavirus on ship: B.C. health official