Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Death toll among B.C.'s homeless rising, hits 342 people last year: Coroner's report

Death toll among B.C.'s homeless rising, hits 342 people last year: Coroner's report
British Columbia's Coroners Service says there's been a sharp increase in deaths among people experiencing homelessness. A statement from the coroners service says the deaths of 342 people experiencing homelessness were reported last year, an increase of almost 140 over the past two years.   

Death toll among B.C.'s homeless rising, hits 342 people last year: Coroner's report

Man steals Salvation Army donation kettle

Man steals Salvation Army donation kettle
Coquitlam R-C-M-P say they are looking for a man who stole a Salvation Army donation kettle from a local mall. Police say the theft happened on December 3rd at Coquitlam Centre Mall's southeast entrance facing Pinetree Way.

Man steals Salvation Army donation kettle

B.C. approves health research centre construction at new St. Paul's Hospital

B.C. approves health research centre construction at new St. Paul's Hospital
British Columbia's provincial government says it is going ahead with the construction of a $638-million "state-of-the-art" research centre at the new St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver. Premier David Eby said at a news conference after touring the construction progress at the new hospital that the province has approved the business plan and funding for the new research facility.  

B.C. approves health research centre construction at new St. Paul's Hospital

Amazon delivery drivers accused of stealing packages in Metro Vancouver

Amazon delivery drivers accused of stealing packages in Metro Vancouver
Mounties say the cases of porch piracy involved drivers making deliveries for the online retailer Amazon between September and late November. Police say the company proactively identified the possible thefts and notified RCMP in Burnaby, B.C., prompting officers to search the suspects' homes, where they found as many as 32 stolen packages at one location. The stolen items ranged from a $35 Apple AirTag tracking device to a men's watch valued at more than $600.

Amazon delivery drivers accused of stealing packages in Metro Vancouver

New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh, wife Gurkiran Kaur Sidhu welcome second baby girl

New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh, wife Gurkiran Kaur Sidhu welcome second baby girl
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh and his wife, Gurkiran Kaur Sidhu, are the proud parents of their second baby girl. Party officials say the baby is healthy and doing well, as is her mother. 

New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh, wife Gurkiran Kaur Sidhu welcome second baby girl

Trucker, Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, who caused Broncos crash loses latest bid to stay in Canada

Trucker, Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, who caused Broncos crash loses latest bid to stay in Canada
A federal judge has dismissed applications from the truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash in Saskatchewan and was fighting deportation back to India. Jaskirat Singh Sidhu was sentenced to eight years for causing the 2018 crash that killed 16 people and injured 13 others.  

Trucker, Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, who caused Broncos crash loses latest bid to stay in Canada