Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey shooting lands 1 in hospital

Surrey shooting lands 1 in hospital
Police in Surrey are investigating a shooting early this morning that has sent one man to hospital. Surrey Mounties say they received a report of shots fired at a vehicle just before 2 a-m at the intersection of 64th Avenue and 124th Street.

Surrey shooting lands 1 in hospital

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Pawandeep Singh

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Pawandeep Singh
On November 25th Pawandeep Singh, 27, was reported missing to police. He was last seen on November 5, 2023 in the 8400-block of 171A Street. His last contact with a family member by phone was on November 20, 2023. Family and friends have not been able to make any contact with him since and are concerned for his wellbeing. Despite ongoing efforts, he has not been located.

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Pawandeep Singh

Calgary teen arrested in terrorism investigation to stay off social media sites

Calgary teen arrested in terrorism investigation to stay off social media sites
A 17-year-old Calgarian who was arrested as part of a national security investigation is to be prohibited from accessing social media and required to participate in an intervention plan that addresses ideological extremism.  The teen, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was arrested in June and was subject to a section of the Criminal Code that allows for a peace bond if there's fear the person may commit a terrorism offence.  

Calgary teen arrested in terrorism investigation to stay off social media sites

Province adopting new building and fire codes to speed up creation of homes

Province adopting new building and fire codes to speed up creation of homes
With a rush to build more housing across the province, the B-C government says it is adopting new building and fire codes for sustainability and creating homes faster.  The Ministry of Housing says the proposed changes to the building code will expand the use of mass timber in taller buildings, while helping to reduce carbon pollution.  

Province adopting new building and fire codes to speed up creation of homes

Pedestrian involved fatal collision in New Westminster

Pedestrian involved fatal collision in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are investigating a fatal accident involving a pedestrian. It happened yesterday afternoon and police say the pedestrian died at the scene. Sergeant Andrew Leaver says driver stayed at the crash site.

Pedestrian involved fatal collision in New Westminster

Highway 97 in Prince George closed both ways due to a crash

Highway 97 in Prince George closed both ways due to a crash
Mounties in Prince George are warning drivers that Highway 97 through the Salmon Valley is closed in both directions because of a crash. Police say a five-ton truck and a pickup were involved in the collision around 12:45 this afternoon.   

Highway 97 in Prince George closed both ways due to a crash