Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

2 men charged in firearms trafficking

2 men charged in firearms trafficking
B-C's anti-gang enforcement unit says charges have been laid against two men who were accused of manufacturing guns and trafficking them. Justin Bos, a 38-year-old from Langley, has been charged with one count of firearms manufacturing, while 36-year-old Delta resident Matthew Whitty has been charged with two counts of possession of a restricted firearm. 

2 men charged in firearms trafficking

Vancouver passes motion to ask province to amend charter, remove elected Park Board

Vancouver passes motion to ask province to amend charter, remove elected Park Board
Vancouver's municipal council has passed a motion aimed at removing the city's elected Park Board. At a meeting last night, council passed a motion by Mayor Ken Sim to ask the province to amend the Vancouver Charter in order to abolish the Park Board.

Vancouver passes motion to ask province to amend charter, remove elected Park Board

Improved transit coming to 4 communities in a joint effort by the Province and the Feds

Improved transit coming to 4 communities in a joint effort by the Province and the Feds
B-C Transit and the federal and provincial governments have combined funding of just over 90-million dollars to improve transit infrastructure to four communities.  The announcement by federal Infrastructure Minister Sean Fraser, B-C’s Transport Minister Rob Fleming and B-C Transit’s C-E-O Erinn Pinkerton will allow for preliminary work for a proposed new transit centre in Saanich. 

Improved transit coming to 4 communities in a joint effort by the Province and the Feds

Bank robbery in East Vancouver

Bank robbery in East Vancouver
Vancouver police say a 61-year-old man with a gun was arrested by a dog team after he robbed a bank in East Vancouver. They say the man was treated for a minor dog bite yesterday.

Bank robbery in East Vancouver

Jewelry theft worth $20K in Langford

Jewelry theft worth $20K in Langford
Mounties have released a photo of a suspect who stole about 20-thousand-dollars worth of jewelry from a Langford store. West Shore R-C-M-P say a man tried on several necklaces at West Shore Jewelry on Saturday then took off without paying.

Jewelry theft worth $20K in Langford

B.C.'s chief coroner exits, frustrated and disappointed with government's OD response

B.C.'s chief coroner exits, frustrated and disappointed with government's OD response
British Columbia's chief coroner Lisa Lapointe says she's a hopeful person, but she is leaving her office frustrated and disappointed. Angry, even, with drug overdose deaths expected to hit record levels this year. The B.C. Coroners Service issued a public safety warning Wednesday, citing increases in overdose deaths "above earlier indications," when 189 deaths were reported in October.

B.C.'s chief coroner exits, frustrated and disappointed with government's OD response