Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

Coalition of drug user groups wants court to quash B.C. drug 'recriminalization'

Coalition of drug user groups wants court to quash B.C. drug 'recriminalization'
The group of 13 non-profits, including the Matsqui-Abbotsford Impact Society and the Vancouver Area Network of Drug Users, says in an application filed in Federal Court that the federal government recriminalized public drug possession in B.C. "with minimal justification or evidence."

Coalition of drug user groups wants court to quash B.C. drug 'recriminalization'

LNG company plans to use 'floatel' near Squamish, B.C., without local permit

LNG company plans to use 'floatel' near Squamish, B.C., without local permit
The company behind a natural gas project near Squamish has withdrawn its application for a local permit to house workers in a converted cruise ship, and is instead pressing ahead on the basis of a provincial order. The District of Squamish had yet to issue a temporary use permit authorizing the so-called floatel, which has been the subject of debate in council meetings in recent months.

LNG company plans to use 'floatel' near Squamish, B.C., without local permit

Canada's population grew to top 41 million in the first quarter: StatCan

Canada's population grew to top 41 million in the first quarter: StatCan
Statistics Canada says the country's population topped 41 million people in the first quarter of this year as it grew by 0.6 per cent. The agency says the population reached 41,012,563 on April 1, a gain of 242,673 people in the first three months of the year.

Canada's population grew to top 41 million in the first quarter: StatCan

Body of second missing cousin found in Dawson Creek

Body of second missing cousin found in Dawson Creek
Mounties in Dawson Creek say they have identified human remains discovered in April as belonging to Darylyn Supernant, who was among four people to vanish from the area since she went missing in March 2023. Dawson Creek RCMP say DNA from the remains found on April 19 were compared with Supernant's parents, confirming the identity. 

Body of second missing cousin found in Dawson Creek

Police say shoplifting started at new B.C. store 40 minutes after first opening

Police say shoplifting started at new B.C. store 40 minutes after first opening
Police say a new grocery store in Prince George, B.C., has been hit by a spate of shoplifting that began 40 minutes after it opened its doors for the first time. The Buy-Low Foods store opened on Friday and police say that over the next three days a total of 12 shoplifting incidents were reported, involving 13 people and just over $450 in stolen merchandise.

Police say shoplifting started at new B.C. store 40 minutes after first opening

More rental housing units to come for Surrey

More rental housing units to come for Surrey
Construction is underway for more affordable rental housing units in Surrey. Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says seniors, families and adults living with disabilities in the city will soon get access to dozens more units as construction is underway on the Harmony Apartments.

More rental housing units to come for Surrey