Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

Cool air mass over southern B.C. brings in record-breaking low temperatures

Cool air mass over southern B.C. brings in record-breaking low temperatures
Environment Canada says an unseasonable cool air mass over southern B.C. has broken minimum temperature records, including one dating back about 70 years.  The forecaster says temperatures fell to 4 degrees in the Trail area on Sunday, breaking the record of 4.4 degrees set in 1954.

Cool air mass over southern B.C. brings in record-breaking low temperatures

North Vancouver's ICBC headquarters to become housing project development site

North Vancouver's ICBC headquarters to become housing project development site
The head office of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia in North Vancouver will be transformed into an urban housing development with hundreds of homes near major transit hubs.  Premier David Eby says the province has reached an agreement to buy the Crown auto insurer's waterfront headquarters with plans to develop market and below-market homes close to transit and the SeaBus to Vancouver.

North Vancouver's ICBC headquarters to become housing project development site

Gurjot Singh Bhatti arrested for stolen vehicle

Gurjot Singh Bhatti arrested for stolen vehicle
The vehicle was later relocated abandoned in Richmond, and the driver was arrested nearby with the assistance of Richmond RCMP Gang Enforcement Team (RGET) and Vancouver Police Department Gang Crime Unit (GCU). The driver was identified as 20-year-old Gurjot Singh Bhatti.

Gurjot Singh Bhatti arrested for stolen vehicle

More housing to come near transit hubs

More housing to come near transit hubs
Premier David Eby and Transport Minister Rob Fleming are expected to make an announcement about more homes being built near transit today. There’s no word yet on what exactly the announcement is.

More housing to come near transit hubs

B.C.'s first health centre catering to francophone community to open in the fall

B.C.'s first health centre catering to francophone community to open in the fall
A new health centre dedicated to serving British Columbia's French-language speakers will open its doors this fall in Vancouver.  A statement from B.C.’s Ministry of Health says the current Vancouver Urban Health Centre cannot accommodate the needs of the Lower Mainland’s growing French-speaking community even though it offers primary care in both French and English. 

B.C.'s first health centre catering to francophone community to open in the fall

Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main

Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main
Five additional areas requiring further repair along the feeder main were detected late last week, but Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek told an update Sunday that a robotic inspection of 300 metres more of the pipe found no further breaches.

Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main