Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

Sikh activists burn Modi effigy on anniversary of B.C. temple leader Nijjar's murder

Sikh activists burn Modi effigy on anniversary of B.C. temple leader Nijjar's murder
Sikh activists marked the anniversary of the killing of British Columbia temple leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar by holding a mock murder trial for Indian President Narendra Modi Tuesday outside the Indian consulate in downtown Vancouver. An effigy of Modi, dressed in prison stripes, was paraded down the street in a makeshift cage before the mock trial began on Tuesday. 

Sikh activists burn Modi effigy on anniversary of B.C. temple leader Nijjar's murder

Fire at Nanaimo supportive housing displaced more than 50 people

Fire at Nanaimo supportive housing displaced more than 50 people
More than 50 people from a supportive-housing complex in Nanaimo were displaced Sunday after a fire in a mattress that was started by a cigarette. Troy Libbus, Nanaimo Fire Rescue's assistant chief, said their crew responded to an alarm at Samaritan Place, a supportive-housing complex that has 51 units. 

Fire at Nanaimo supportive housing displaced more than 50 people

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison
A man convicted of first-degree murder for killing his business partner in Port Coquitlam in 1994 has died in prison. Correctional Service Canada says David Anthony Lowe, an inmate at William Head Institution near Victoria, died of apparent natural causes last week. 

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison

One dead in Burnaby stabbing

One dead in Burnaby stabbing
Police in Burnaby say homicide investigators are looking for any witnesses or dash-camera footage after a fatal stabbing yesterday evening. Burnaby R-C-M-P say officers responded to a report of a stabbing along 1st Avenue near Ingleton Avenue at around 6:15 p-m. 

One dead in Burnaby stabbing

Shoplifting at Burnaby mall

Shoplifting at Burnaby mall
Mounties in Burnaby say their community response team arrested six shoplifters after being deployed to one of the city’s malls for six hours. Police say nearly 75-hundred-dollars worth of stolen items was recovered and returned to retailers. 

Shoplifting at Burnaby mall

B.C. safety agency moves to cut risks for construction cranes after fatal accidents

B.C. safety agency moves to cut risks for construction cranes after fatal accidents
British Columbia's worker safety agency is moving to address "gaps" in construction crane safety after recent accidents, including fatalities. WorkSafeBC says in a statement that it developed safety plans after bringing together 130 groups and individuals, including tower crane operators, unions, employers, contractors and the B.C. Association for Crane Safety. 

B.C. safety agency moves to cut risks for construction cranes after fatal accidents