Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jul, 2022 12:39 PM
  • Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Work is finally underway in Vancouver's English Bay to remove a huge barge that has been washed up on the beach for eight months.

A company has begun drilling piles into the shoreline to anchor the barge while it is cut apart and removed.

The city of Vancouver has said placement of the pilings is the first step in the removal process estimated to take three to four months to complete.

The barge broke free of its moorings during a fierce storm and extremely high tide last November.

It washed up high on the sand and rocks near Sunset Beach, defeating all efforts to drag it free earlier this year.

Vancouver officials say the removal plan will ensure protection of sensitive marine habitat and has been developed in consultation with industry experts, partners and First Nation groups.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Economy recovering but some sectors weak: Trudeau

Economy recovering but some sectors weak: Trudeau
Statistics Canada is reporting that the economy contracted at an annualized rate of 1.1 per cent between April and June, and estimates another drop in real gross domestic product in July.

Economy recovering but some sectors weak: Trudeau

New COVID-19 modelling numbers coming in B.C.

New COVID-19 modelling numbers coming in B.C.
On Monday, the province reported seven more deaths and 1,853 new cases of COVID-19 diagnosed over a three-day period from Friday to Monday. From Friday to Saturday, there were 769 cases, but the number dropped to 503 on Sunday to Monday.

New COVID-19 modelling numbers coming in B.C.

O'Toole, Singh campaign denounce protesters

O'Toole, Singh campaign denounce protesters
The leader's warning came one day after several Conservative campaign workers were spotted among a crowd of raucous protesters who forced the cancellation of a Liberal event featuring Justin Trudeau in Bolton, Ont.

O'Toole, Singh campaign denounce protesters

'Reconsider' travel to Canada, U.S. CDC warns

'Reconsider' travel to Canada, U.S. CDC warns
The new Level 3 travel advisory, issued today, marks a quick end to a three-week period when the warning to would-be travellers to Canada had been eased to "exercise increased caution."

'Reconsider' travel to Canada, U.S. CDC warns

1853 COVID19 cases over 3 days

1853 COVID19 cases over 3 days
84.2% (3,904,121) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 76.4% (3,541,731) received their second dose.

1853 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Cleaning, dietary workers coming back in-house at B.C. hospitals

Cleaning, dietary workers coming back in-house at B.C. hospitals
The province is working with the Hospital Employees' Union, health authorities and contractors on its plan, he said. The transition to government employment will end before most of the contracts expire by March, Dix said.

Cleaning, dietary workers coming back in-house at B.C. hospitals