Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jul, 2022 12:39 PM
  • Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Work is finally underway in Vancouver's English Bay to remove a huge barge that has been washed up on the beach for eight months.

A company has begun drilling piles into the shoreline to anchor the barge while it is cut apart and removed.

The city of Vancouver has said placement of the pilings is the first step in the removal process estimated to take three to four months to complete.

The barge broke free of its moorings during a fierce storm and extremely high tide last November.

It washed up high on the sand and rocks near Sunset Beach, defeating all efforts to drag it free earlier this year.

Vancouver officials say the removal plan will ensure protection of sensitive marine habitat and has been developed in consultation with industry experts, partners and First Nation groups.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Charges laid for fire that razed Coptic Orthodox Church, 35 year old woman arrested

Charges laid for fire that razed Coptic Orthodox Church, 35 year old woman arrested
The St. George church was the target of two incidents of arson, the first on July 14, the second on July 19, 2021, that destroyed the church.  Following an investigation by the Surrey RCMP Major Crime Section, a 35-year old woman was arrested on August 26, 2021.

Charges laid for fire that razed Coptic Orthodox Church, 35 year old woman arrested

Parties pounce on problematic candidates

Parties pounce on problematic candidates
The Conservatives started the day by questioning tax arrears that Liberal candidate Steven Guilbeault disclosed in a parliamentary ethics filing, which the heritage minister later explained to reporters travelling on the campaign stem from his separation and are being resolved.

Parties pounce on problematic candidates

B.C. evacuation orders, wildfires slowly tick down

B.C. evacuation orders, wildfires slowly tick down
Emergency Management BC says 28 orders were in place today, covering more than 3,900 properties, while residents of another 6,255 properties were told to be ready to leave on short notice.    

B.C. evacuation orders, wildfires slowly tick down

Shooting in parking lot of a fast food restaurant in Whalley: Surrey RCMP

Shooting in parking lot of a fast food restaurant in Whalley: Surrey RCMP
Members of the public reported seeing an argument between two groups of males, which escalated into the use of pepper spray and then shots were fired. The males left the area in two separate vehicles prior to police arrival.

Shooting in parking lot of a fast food restaurant in Whalley: Surrey RCMP

Leaders on the move as campaign continues

Leaders on the move as campaign continues
Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole's party started the day by questioning tax arrears that Liberal candidate Steven Guilbeault disclosed in a parliamentary ethics filing.

Leaders on the move as campaign continues

Man shot in Surrey

Man shot in Surrey
Upon arrival, officers located a 35 year old male suffering from a gunshot wound to his lower leg who has been transported to a local area hospital in stable condition with non life-threatening injuries.    

Man shot in Surrey