Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jul, 2022 12:39 PM
  • Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Work is finally underway in Vancouver's English Bay to remove a huge barge that has been washed up on the beach for eight months.

A company has begun drilling piles into the shoreline to anchor the barge while it is cut apart and removed.

The city of Vancouver has said placement of the pilings is the first step in the removal process estimated to take three to four months to complete.

The barge broke free of its moorings during a fierce storm and extremely high tide last November.

It washed up high on the sand and rocks near Sunset Beach, defeating all efforts to drag it free earlier this year.

Vancouver officials say the removal plan will ensure protection of sensitive marine habitat and has been developed in consultation with industry experts, partners and First Nation groups.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Moderna COVID-19 vaccine approved for teenagers

Moderna COVID-19 vaccine approved for teenagers
Moderna applied for authorization for youth in early June, citing a clinical trial of 3,700 youth in which none of the teens who got two doses developed a COVID-19 infection.

Moderna COVID-19 vaccine approved for teenagers

Speed a factor in crash that killed hockey players

Speed a factor in crash that killed hockey players
In a news release, police say investigators have found that the car was travelling at a speed "significantly greater" than the posted limit. Emergency services personnel were called out early Saturday after a car hit a tree.

Speed a factor in crash that killed hockey players

'We need your support,' pleads female Afghan activist once helped by Canada

'We need your support,' pleads female Afghan activist once helped by Canada
Canadian taxpayer dollars have funded various projects that she has worked on that were designed to raise the rights of women and girls over the last 20 years.

'We need your support,' pleads female Afghan activist once helped by Canada

More wildfires in B.C. classified as held

More wildfires in B.C. classified as held
Emergency Management BC says most of the blazes are in the Kamloops, southeast and Prince George fire centres. It says there are about 35 evacuation orders in place as well as 83 evacuation alerts, which means people should be ready to leave at short notice.

More wildfires in B.C. classified as held

867 COVID19 cases for Friday

867 COVID19 cases for Friday
Three more people have died, while 159 people are in hospital and 84 of those are in intensive care. There are 5,657 active cases in the province and nearly 39 per cent of those are in the Interior Health region, where tougher restrictions were put in place this month.

867 COVID19 cases for Friday

B.C. provides $12.9 million for fairs, festivals

B.C. provides $12.9 million for fairs, festivals
Melanie Mark, the minister of tourism, arts, culture and sport, says events will be eligible to claim up to $250,000 with applications open until Oct. 1. The money can go toward operational costs, health and safety measures, venue rental, marketing, wages and promotion.

B.C. provides $12.9 million for fairs, festivals