Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

2 stabbed at Guildford Town Centre Mall

2 stabbed at Guildford Town Centre Mall
Upon arrival, officers located a 40 year female and a 35 year old male, both suffering from stab wounds. Both individuals were transported to a local area hospital where the female is listed in critical condition, while the male is currently stable.

2 stabbed at Guildford Town Centre Mall

Michael Johal arrested in the death of Abbotsford man Gagandeep Sandhu

Michael Johal arrested in the death of Abbotsford man Gagandeep Sandhu
A Delta man has now been charged with conspiracy to commit murder in relation to a 2023 Burnaby homicide. On September 16th of last year the Burnaby RCMP responded to a report of shots fired in the 3400-block of North Road, Burnaby. First responding officers arrived on scene and found a deceased man, later identified as 29-year old Gagandeep Sandhu of Abbotsford, in an underground parkade.

Michael Johal arrested in the death of Abbotsford man Gagandeep Sandhu

RCMP investigate shooting that killed one man in Sicamous

RCMP investigate shooting that killed one man in Sicamous
Police in British Columbia's Interior are asking for the public's help to identify a suspect vehicle after a man was fatally shot this weekend. A statement from the B.C. RCMP says the detachment in Sicamous, east of Kamloops, received a report of a shooting in the parking lot of the Best Western Hotel along the Trans-Canada Highway at about 4:50 p.m. on Saturday.

RCMP investigate shooting that killed one man in Sicamous

Female found deceased in residential fire

Female found deceased in residential fire
Surrey RCMP is assisting Surrey Fire Services following a fatal residential fire in Surrey.  On Saturday at 05:20 am, Surrey RCMP received a report of a residential structure fire in the 15100-block of 88th Avenue.  Police arrived on scene with the Surrey Fire Department and evacuated the occupants of neighboring residences.  

Female found deceased in residential fire

Navinder Gill sentenced to life in prison for December 2022 homicide of Harpreet Kaur Gill in Surrey

Navinder Gill sentenced to life in prison for December 2022 homicide of Harpreet Kaur Gill in Surrey
On December 7, 2022, at 9:22 p.m. the Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a stabbing in the 12700-block of 66 Avenue, Surrey. Officers attended and found a 40-year old woman, later identified as Harpreet Kaur Gill, in medical distress, resulting from multiple stab wounds.

Navinder Gill sentenced to life in prison for December 2022 homicide of Harpreet Kaur Gill in Surrey

Woman, 45, killed in hit-and-run, RCMP say suspect still at large

Woman, 45, killed in hit-and-run, RCMP say suspect still at large
RCMP say a 45-year-old woman was killed while officers chased a man fleeing in a vehicle late Saturday night just outside of Edmonton. Supt. Leanne MacMillian says Beaumont RCMP located the suspect in a parked truck at a local business in Beaumont, about 25 kilometres south of Edmonton.

Woman, 45, killed in hit-and-run, RCMP say suspect still at large